Network Cable Is Unplugged... BOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synth3t1k

Solid State Member
Sorry for the second post... the first one didn't show :(

HI! I'm new to the forum. I'm going to try and keep this short and simple cause my computer keeps crashing and I get a physical memory dump since my problem started. I appreciate any help. I'm using a usb wireless network card thing. It's crap. but anyways.

I was downloading portable games. I downloaded a few and tried to get them to my memory card, and my computer went nuts! It locked up and rebooted it's self, upon the reboot, I get an error saying that my network cable is unplugged. Which it's not. I tried replacing the CAT5 wire, didn't work, I tried switching the ports, didn't work. Then my computer just started restarting it's self over and over. I managed to backup my hard drive and re-installed XP home. I still get the crash problem and it still says my network cable is unplugged. checking my hardware, it says that I'm missing the drivers for the PCI simple communications controller, and my multimedia audio controller (yes, I have no sound now either)

This is crazy cause my Kaspersky never caught a virus, neither did my Verizon internet security.

I have an Elitegroup ECS P4VXASD2+ with a 2.40 GHz pentium 4 processor.

Any help on getting the drivers for this to work? I've tried looking them up, and the same as everyone else, I get sent to the Microsoft update. But no updates for the drivers.

Thanks for any help!

Synth3t1k said:
But no updates for the drivers.
Press the Windows key+Pause/break to open the System properties. Go to Hardware, device manager. Are there any devices categorised by yellow question marks?

yeah, I said it was The PCI simple communications controller, and my multimedia aduido controller. Those are the only 2 with yellow question marks.

That's the thing, I can't find the drivers anywhere to match my motherboard. Not even on the elitegroup website. :-\

Oh and to the Mods, Sorry for the breakage of the rules. Won't happen again...

Well, I don't know how I did it, but I got my internet connection back through the wire. Now I've encountered a new obsticle. It won't let me connect to the internet. When it automatically asigns an IP address, it gives me a huge address, far from my normal IP address, and my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0.

So trying to get around this, I set up a static IP address with my normal IP address, SNM, and DNS. It still won't reconize it through my router and I still can not connect.... wow I feel helpless...

Odd, are you sure DHCP on the router is enabled? Is the router showing a connection to the computer? Try going back to getting the IP automatically, and give us the address it is getting from the DHCP.

ok, this is what I did. I had switched my connectivity to "10BaseT Full Duplex"... If I put it back to "Auto-Negotiation" my computer goes back to "Network cable is unplugged"

on the connection it's giving me, its:

IP address: 169.254.33.234
SNM: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:???

it should be:
IP address: 192.168.1.3
SNM: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:192.168.1.1

I wouldn't know how to check to see if the DHCP is enabled on the router. Is it possible that it could automatically disable it's self, cause this computer use to work with it. Now it doesn't...

I can't replace the network adapter, it's integrated with the motherboard. I just checked the DCHP settings, it is enabled, plus I have 3 other computers running off the same router. I have tried updating and re installing the drivers for the network adapter. still didn't work :( Computer is fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom