Network Cable Unplugged.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Network Cable Unplugged..

Hello Everyone...

Please bare with me as I am trying to recall everything that has happened in the past 48 hours.

My older brother who is VERY computer illiterate and lives about 25 hours away called and said his internet hadn't been working for about a week. The very small cable/dsl provider has been to his house and fixed some outside wires or something from a bad storm.

He doesn't connect the computer to a cable modem but merely a place in his wall which then runs outside to a box.

He has connected another friends computer, and his xbox to the current line using the current ethernet cable and all can access the internet. So the problem must be software or hardware?

When he does ipconfig /all he gets a media state disconnected and NO IP at all, so there is nothing to ping.

He has installed a new NIC as the other was onboard, the NIC comes up in System Devices just fine with no errors, but he isn't getting any lights on the card. It's a cheap Network Everywhere card made from Linksys which I don't think is supported in Windows XP.

Any suggestions to fixing this? I have had him do every possible netsh command, and lastnight he was so ticked off he reinstalled windows after wiping it clean *yes very irrational*

Please help

Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Network Cable Unplugged..

Did ya try a different ethernet/Cat 5 cable?

GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
(RIP) HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
HDD 3: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
HS: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Audio: Maya1010 Pci with Breakout Box
Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes he did, he used one that worked for his Xbox live, and the one he is currently using worked for his friends laptop.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
I know things...

Uhh, did you go to network connections tab in the control panel and make sure everything is kosher there?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
I know things...

You have to click on properties and make sure your network connection is configured to use new nic card and not still pointed at onboard device.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

In system devices the NIC card seems to be functioning correctly and is being detected.

Under the network connections, the new NIC card is the one being used, I have even had him disable the onboard nic.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Look to be sure the DHCP client service is running.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
Look to be sure the DHCP client service is running.
I think I've done this with him, I had him go to: Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services and made sure DHCP Client was active/started.

Is this what you are talking of?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

yep, that would have been what he meant. it sounds to me like the card isnt configured correctly. btw just because no lights come on doesnt mean there is a problem. Tell him to manually set the ip address and default gateway for the new NIC.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've had him use the IP and Gateway that came up when his Xbox Live got connected, and still a no go.

Hopefully he can get to a store that has a NIC card so he can give another a go. He lives in a really small town in Northern MN..

Closed Thread