need some help plz - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default need some help plz

lately my computer is running slower than usual, i've done a de-frag, searched for spyware and viruses and i have alot of space left on my hardrive. normally when i double click on say internet explorer, it comes up immediantly, but now it takes a while for programs to start. also, while playing games it lags from time to time, which it normally never did in the past. i found a PowerQuest image file on my computer which is a backup of my c drive, but i dont know how it works. is there either a way to replace my current c drive with this backup image, or a way to completely restore my computer to as if its brand new?

thanks for the help.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

sorry for the late reply.

As long as you have a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive, you can restore all of your personal data (music, documents, favorites, etc) and re-format your PC.

This gives you the "new" windows experience, and gets rid of all your junk.

Here is a guide to reformatting Windows. It takes about 1-2 hours, and you'll have to reinstall drivers after.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i seemed to have hit an iceberg. i have all of the nessessary disks and numbers to reformat, but i am having trouble with that 2nd step. i put the disk in my CD-ROM drive, then after a while the screen comes up and i close it. then i reboot the computer, and it doesnt come up with "press any key to boot from cd". i then tried the solutions in 2)a and 2)b but they dont work. any way to fix this?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

So your computer is set to boot from the CD first and not giving you the option to boot from CD? What CD are you using? An actual Windows CD or a recovery CD?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

its a purple disk that has Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windoed XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 on it.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to kaname

Is your CD Drive your first boot device in your BIOS?

EDIT* Nevermind, sorry, I read the posts but it didn't register in the brain. What programs are running in your system tray?

EVGA 680i SLi
E6400 @ 3.0 GHz
4 GB OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 EL @ 880
400GB + 250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2
EVGA 8800GTs
Antec P180B Case
Closed Thread