Need recommends/advice for diagnostics software - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Need recommends/advice for diagnostics software

I'm not even sure whether it's a hardware problem, a software problem, or both, so I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this in...

My 3D graphics functionality is gone. (I have the latest driver.)
System Restore can't restore my system to an earlier restore point.

Turns out a magnet got stuck to the outside of my computer box. So I don't know what other problems there may be in addition to the ones above.

I have Windows XP Media Center (or Pro - in some places, it says one thing, in other places, the other), SP3.

What diagnostics can/should I run to find out what-all's wrong? Also, if possible, tell me about the ones I don't have to buy. If there is a product out there that I'd have to buy but that would be best, I guess I ought to hear about it.

I mean, I could try just replacing my graphics card, but NVIDIA doesn't seem to sell the one I have and I wouldn't know which others would fit... and if other things are wrong, it would probably be better to find out now ...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Need recommends/advice for diagnostics software

Okay, I poked around and found PC Doctor on my system. It basically says...

"The test cannot find Direct3D support from the driver."

I haven't run every single test it offers, but all the ones I have run (motherboard, system, memory, etc.) have passed. I don't know what to run to find out why System Restore can't use my restore points, but for now the main concern is the graphics card/driver.

I found the original driver on the HP support website and installed that, got the same result from the test.

So I assume it's not the driver, but either the graphics card itself or whatever the driver uses to communicate from. (I'm not well-versed on these things.)

Sooooo... how do I find out which it is?
Closed Thread