Need opinions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Question Need opinions

My desktop started acting crazy last night and I would like to hear some opinions as to what the issue may be.

Current setup is an athlon xp 2700, with 1 gig ram. Have two hard drives.
30 gig - Has both Ubuntu and XP loaded, i use GRUB to choose the OS i want to boot at that moment
80 gig - Use as a database and only has files, no programs or OS

Last night when working in XP on a file located on the 80 gig I got an error when saving the file. It said the memory couldn't be writen to, the data was lost. So i clicked 'save as' and was able to save it to the 30 gig. Once saved excel closed itself and the file was gone on the 80 but still present on the 30.

At next boot XP locked up on the load screen. Tried booting again and it locks up at POST, gets as far as reading the video card and counting ram, but then pauses. If i let it sit for say 15 minutes one out of three times it will get to the grub loader. Load windows, but then work extremely slow. like it would not do anything (you can click the mouse but nothing would start) for about 30 seconds, think for 5 to 10, then stop again for another 30.

I should also note that last week in XP it froze a handful of times, i thought it was a conflict w/ a running program (some HP printing software) because once i started closing that at startup I never got another freeze.

Today I booted into Linux and the OS worked fine. Didn't freeze, wasn't laggy. But i couldn't mount my other two hard drives.

At first I thought it was a bad boot file. But that woudln't explain the freezing or lag. Then i thought to myself, how do you repair the boot if you're using GRUB. Do i need to repair install XP then repair Ubuntu?

Then I thought maybe the drive is dieing, but both hard drives aren't able to be mounted... so it would be rare both drives died at the same time.

So my thinking is... a bad cable or possibly a bad controller on the MB.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the over analyzation, but i'm at work and can't really test any of my theories at this point.

-Vista SME
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Need opinions

A repair installation of XP fixed the issue.

Just incase someone runs in the same issue.
-Vista SME
Closed Thread