Need Laptop Troubleshooting Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Need Laptop Troubleshooting Help!

Friend of mine brought me a Acer 1500 series laptop. It's only about 2 years old.

The issue is, when you press the power button, the screen stays black. You can hear fans and the HDD power up, but the screen stays black. I've tried with battery or without. Same issue. I can not get into BIO's. I can't Run recovery disks. Nothing. I've tried hooking up an external monitor to the VGA adapter on the laptop with no luck.

I'm leaning towards an LCD issue. More specifically the LCD power inverter. I'm not really experienced with laptop hardware. I'm sure I could change a power inverter, although I'm not sure that is the issue.

Are there any steps I can take to try to help my friend out and get this fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie
Default Re: Need Laptop Troubleshooting Help!

Wow, this is the second thread I have read in the last 15 minutes or so, that mentions a 2-yr old Acer that is having similar troubles (the other is a desktop). I wonder if it is some faulty parts that Acer is buying.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Need Laptop Troubleshooting Help!

Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
I can't Run recovery disks. Nothing. I've tried hooking up an external monitor to the VGA adapter on the laptop with no luck.

I'm leaning towards an LCD issue.
This is a Motherboard issue if the external Monitor does not work either
You can have a look at this >> No POST Guide that may help
Closed Thread