need help with sata hard drive - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: need help with sata hard drive

It had to be reactivated because the board had a new s/n compared with the one registered with windows originally.

And I'm aware what the question was. I simply stated that if he didn't want to re-install windows totally and start over, he could just clone everything over to the new drive. I must have misread the part that it was being put into a new system, however. This can still be done though, as I know a few people on here have done that as well.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

On the new build there I imagine Windows is already installed on the 160gb sata drive in use and the 80 was put in to save files from it before saying "good bye" once and for all on the apparently failing drive. Why would you clone a Windows installation from an old system onto the new drive in a totally new build with Windows already on it?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Please read my first post in this topic, eyeCpc. It said that if Windows wasn't already installed, to clone the drive. I assumed that the drive he had was still blank. He said he just built the system, so that doesn't say if he has installed Windows on the new drive yet.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

We'll simply have to wait until busa4 responds before assuming anything. But the one fact is that a clean installation of Windows would be required on a brand new build to start with.

You are forgetting the new drive is also in a totally new build with a different set of hardwares. That's a MAJOR major hardware change there.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the sata hard drive is new with no operating system installed. before i installed my old ide drive i tried to load xp into the sata drive. i went through the hole ordeal with the boot disk to load the raid files but at the end the computer couldnt find the sata drive. i tried this at least 10 times. obvious frustration led me to install my old ide hard drive.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i dont know if this will help but my motherboard only has one ide channel, one floppy channel and 2 sata ports.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie

What you are referring to there is that the XP installer doesn't see the sata like it would an ide drive. That's something normally to be expected when the board you have requires sata drivers be loaded first during the installation.

Generally in the utility section of the board's software cd or at the support site you can download the drivers needed to create the drive floppy needed. Once prepared you simply press the F6 key on the first startup screen seen when booting with the installation disk.

The installer then copies and loads the drivers found on the floppy to enable the detection of the drive. The old 939 model board here required that as well as most older boards by both AMD and Intel. The newer AM2 models as well as those that run Core 2s and Q series cpus now simply see XP go right on since the newer bios version take that into account elimating the need for a driver disk.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i know i tried that and i just kept getting an error page and it stop the xp installation. i think my sata hd is bad.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

On the last build here I kept getting one driver error simply by using Windows to format the floppy instead of booting up with the software cd and using the Asus utility on the disk. Once I formatted it that way and then used the create driver disk option while in Windows no errors! XP then went right on. If you are seeing a driver error you are probably running into the same thing.

Closed Thread