Need help recoving files/folders from a bad partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowingChicken

Baseband Member
The quick gist: There was a storm this morning, the power went out for a minute, but when it came back on the computer was working fine. A few hours later I catch the monitor flashing the blue screen of death and the system restarts, and when it does I get an error saying no boot disc detected. I checked my BIOS and it appears the boot order was changed, so I fixed that, but I found I wasn't able to get past the XP logo before the system would restart again. Would not go into safe mode. Would not roll back either. I eventually put in my system restore DVD, but rather than allowing me to do a soft restore, or giving me the option to do a full restore with back up (which it normally would allow) it went right into prepping the drive to be formatted for a full restore. When I realized what was going on I ejected the DVD and canceled the format.

I swapped the drives around and re-installed XP on a second hard drive, which I am using now to look at the original drive. When I try to browse the original drive, I get the error "F:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

I feared that all was gone, but perhaps not. I tried out this program called Active Partition Recovery and it is telling me that all of my files are still intact in this partition. I can browse folders, see the files, but I can't copy them to the new disc. I need help, either restoring the original partition so I may copy the folders, or some program that will let me do what Active Partition Recovery isn't; copy the folders to the new drive.

Any help, and I mean ANY help, will be appreciated. Thank you.

That solution says it is for Windows Server 2003. I tried it anyway but it didn't help. I checked and I don't even have the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MountMgr\NoAutoMount registry. Thanks for the help though. Anymore ideas?

Did you try anything else that was mentioned in the linked thread, including the information provided that already worked? Trying to access a RAW Drive in Windows is like trying to do open heart surgery when the doctor is a newborn and they are using nothing but dull spoons.

You are better off finding decent Recovery software and just creating a new partition. It will be less painful than trying to access the RAW data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom