Need help with new rig. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need help with new rig.

Ok guys, ive finished putting together my new rig. Heres my problem; When i plug in the PSU and press the power button, the green light on the Mobo is on indicating its on. Heres the puzzling part, the case fans an the CPU fan does not spin. Im pretty confident in the fact ive connected all the case fans and i know for sure ive connected the wire from the cpu fan to the CPU fan slot on the mobo. help meee

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Need help with new rig.

Does the HDD spin or any other lights come on or the optical drive make a noise?

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

all the lights flash then go off. ??? im thinking its a problem with the Asus Q connector?? maybe short circuit??? have no idea.

and optical drive does not make noise, and does actually not even come out of the drive. the CPU fan tries to start to spin then just stops.??
Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Your mobo could be shorting out on one of the metal stand-off's.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

that makes sense. Would the green light on the mobo still be on tho? and how would i correct this shortage??
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yes the light could be on. You need to make sure all the stand-offs are lining up with the holes in the mobo. You can set the system up on a non-conductive surface (place the mobo on the mobo box) and see if it powers up. if it does then you probably have a stand-off screwed in where theres no mobo hole.

Closed Thread