Need help!!Laptop directly shuting down when formating,maybe bios problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a problem with the HD that you can tell from the chkdsk??

(what IS the problem exactly????)

can it be fixed or a new HD is needed??? and does the warranty cover such matters...? (will they replace my HD for free or should I pay for it???)

Will I face any problems if decide to continue using the computer as is,with XP installed (using the quick format)???

thanx again...

if its bad sectors, if the thing's still under warranty, i'd call the company and tell them you had it checked over by some A+ certified techs(meaning we're supposed to know what we're talking about) which I do and I am. They said the hard drive was dying, and that because it's still under warranty you need a new one. and yes you can still install xp on it.

Thank you for your reply...

so there's definately a problem with the HD...??

I will go to the company...but I dont think i can trust them much anymore! I sent it when I could not do a format (laptop was turning off)and they said that the bios needed upgrading, they upgraded it (as they said) and charged me $30!When I got it, XP was installed, but I wanted to see if the problem was solved or not so I tried to format again...and, surprisingly, the computer turned off duing format again!!!

It was till yesterday that I tried the quick format...and it worked...

But if I am to go and argue with the company, I should know what I am talking about...that's why I was asking here :p (I suspected a HD problem, but I am no pro...)

So most pobably the hard disk is dying....(is it bad sectors or what??)

and just incase...will I have any problems using it as is, untill I get a new HD..??

Thanx again...

It could be bad sectors, theres no way for ME to tell, I work better when I can see and work directly with the problem here at my desk, But yes it definitely sounds like a hard drive, those are the exact symptoms I got with bad hard drives before. I've never had it shut off, but the drive won't finish formating a full format if it's a bad drive but usually zips right thru with a quicky. But if they'll send you the hard drive free (from it being under warranty) then why not go for it.

As for the last part, you may experience more issues, just don't store any critical data ONLY there, if you have to put it in more than one place so you won't lose it as easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom