need help with freezing up please

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the computer I have a 350w ATX PSU. In another computer I have a 400w ATX but I think I was using the 350w cause it has more power leads.

I took the 400w out of the other computer and only hooked up the motherboard connection, the smaller one near the CPU and the fan on the vid card.

Now when I turn on the computer it does one of two things:
1. fans spin for 1 second and then the computer powers itself off
2. fans spin for 10-15 seconds then the computer powers itself off

At no time during this does it display anything to the monitor.

ok, I got the other powersupply to work by connecting the power leads to the harddrives and CDROMs. I guess if it doesn't see a power draw there it doesn't powerup?

At anyrate, it's booting up again with the other PSU but still same problem. I went into the BIOS memu to set the CPU correctly (I cleared the CMOS via the jumper) and it froze up. This time, about 10-15 seconds after it froze up it powered itself off.

So does this mean it's my motherboard after all? If so, will this work as a replacement?

http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=79

I have a pen4 2.4 cpu thats socket 478, 1g of PC2100 DDR memory and raided IDE drives.

Looks like the CPU will work but the memory says it supports PC3300, is that backwards compatiable?

Will my IDE drives work on that SATA raid and if so, will i be able to boot them without wiping them and rebuilding the raid?

At the request of someone on another board I did some more tests. Maybe these results can shed light on whats broken??

ok, I tried once more to see if I could pinpoint the issue. For test I have 2 PSUs, 2 memory dimms and 2 AGP vid cards (I dont think I have any PCI vid cards).

Test 1:
PSU #1
MEM dimm #1

Results:
Of coruse, without a vid card I can't see if it booted or not. All I can tell you from this test is there were no beeps and the system did not power itself off (at least not after the 2 or 3 minutes I allowed it to be powered up)

Test 2:
PSU #1
Mem Dimm #1
Vid Card #1

Results:
System powered off as soon as the fans started to spin.

Test 3:
PSU #1
Mem Dimm #1
Vid Card #2
System frozen at first screen that discribes the CPU speed and amount of memory. Attempted a second powercycle with these parts and this time it got past that and reported "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". It said press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup. Neither of these work, the system is again frozen. One more attempt.....this time I got the CMOS error again but DEL worked and got me into the BIOS utility. I was able to change some setting in the CMOS without the system freezing up. I saved my settings and as it was restarting the whole thing powered off. Turning it back on froze it at the first CPU/mem screen and about 2 seconds later it powered itself off.

Test 4:
PSU #2
Mem Dimm #1
Vid card #2

results:
System frozen at first screen that shows cpu/mem. powered off/on again and I got a loud beeping with the error:
BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting floppy drive A media ...
Drive A error. System Halt.

Powered it on/off again this time it gave me the CMOS error (hit F1 or DEL) from test3 and allowed me to hit DEL to enter the BIOS. However, a couple of seconds after I got into the BIOS the whole thing is frozen again.

Test 5:
PSU #2
Vid card #2
mem dimm #2

results:
System frozen at first screen (CPU/mem info).

For gods sake, wtf is wrong with my computer????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom