Need Help with Disk Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakot_tijir

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,

I'm haivng a spot of trouble. On this computer I was recently given, I had to reset the BIOS and everything and I did that. But, I wanted to install the XP Restore Cds into the computer to make it more up to date (currently its XP Professional but has too many faults with it and I wanted to put it to Home edition so thats its more user friendly for me). But when I insert the cds into the drives I get nothing. The computer skips over the disks and goes to the XP start up screen and then into windows. SO, thinking it was a software problem I went to the device manager and found the disk drive which is Maxtor something or other. And it says that its working fine. But do you know when you go into My Computer and you can see the types of drives you have. On the computer I am on now, it has an A, a C, a D, and an E, plus an F because my travel drive is in the computer's USB Port. But on the other computer all there is is an A and a C. How can I fix this? This computer is REALLY jacked up software-wise and I just want to install the restore cds so I can clean it up but I can't becuase the computer seems to have not a working drive. Help! All help is appreciated, thank you.

~Sako~

sounds like the CD rom is either bad or connected improperly.Possibly a bad cable or mobo port.

When the computer starts up, hit DEL, or whatever key you need to get into the BIOS/SETUP with.

Once in there, navigate to something along the lines of BOOT PRIORITY. Make sure that your CDroms, or maybe removable disks, are set to boot BEFORE youre hard disks or HDD's.

Also, when you turn on the computer and it goes to windows do you see the CDROM's lights breifly go on?

yeah, the light briefly goes on. But other than that, it doesn't read and I can't get into the disks manually like you normally would be able to by clicking the D drive then hitting open or explore on the disk. It doesn't show any of that.

okay...guys, I got the xp disks in. But now I'm hit with a new problem. At the end of the XP's ghost program it tells you to basically reboot. This should then run the set up where you creat accounts, check for online status and what not. But instead of doing that, the computer restarts and then proceeds to take me to a screen where i'm listed with options like run in safe mode or run in normal mode, etc. I click normal, safe, etc etc. I basically tried all of them, nothing worked, kept restarting. Then I noticed this happening in the black screen that runs the boot up program. It says the following things:

PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-MOF : Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Boot Failure: System Halted.

How do I get rid of this now to actually install XP?????

Also, if this is any help, the heading that the stuff above is under is PXE-2.1 Build (083). The hard disk drive for the computer is a Maxtor 6Y120L0 if that matters. There is also another drive, something like a Plextor something or other, its for burning media I think. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom