Need help with CMOS for Dell Inspiron 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungiefan

Solid State Member
I've got a laptop that I've been assigned to work on in my IT class and there's a CMOS password on it that keeps it from booting. The owner of it died and their family wants to be able to use it. I opened it up and couldn't find a CMOS jumper or battery, and research on a few other sites indicates that the system is probably using a security chip so that the CMOS can't be erased easily. My options seem to be replacing the security chip or replacing the motherboard, and the chip seems to be a less expensive alternative.

I've only found a few sites selling security chips, and most seem to be resellers that get it from one source. I'm looking for feedback on that source, and maybe alternatives that I haven't found.

The source I found is:

http://www.pwcrack.com/

Sorry should have given you a link to what i used... ttp://www.dewassoc.com/download/BiosPass/ami%20passwd%20viewer%20with%20source.zip there are lots of alternitives. I think it really depends on what year the laptop was made, so that password viewer might not work.

How does this thing work? Do I have to run it on the computer with the password? If that's the case, I can't even boot the thing up. It asks for the CMOS password before it does anything else, making it unbootable and making the CMOS settings inaccessible.

There are two very possible BACKDOOR passwords that i've used a lot on Dell machines protected with a forgotten password.

1.) Dell - With a Capital D

2.) phoenix - cause they mostly use phoenix BIOS

Try these

Thanks, but I came to a solution today. I finally got through to Dell and they said they could override the password if the owner called in. I explained that he couldn't since he had died, and I was trying to make the computer usable to his family. They told me how to transfer ownership, which required some information from his family. The family cooperated and I was able to temporarily get ownership so Dell would give me the password. It appears to be an encryption based on the service number of the computer. I used it and it erased the password that was there, letting the computer boot. Now the family has ownership of the system and it is being sent to them. The hardest part of the process was the hour on hold while they ran everything through their security system to make sure the computer had been obtained improperly.

bungiefan said:
Thanks, but I came to a solution today. I finally got through to Dell and they said they could override the password if the owner called in. I explained that he couldn't since he had died, and I was trying to make the computer usable to his family. They told me how to transfer ownership, which required some information from his family. The family cooperated and I was able to temporarily get ownership so Dell would give me the password. It appears to be an encryption based on the service number of the computer. I used it and it erased the password that was there, letting the computer boot. Now the family has ownership of the system and it is being sent to them. The hardest part of the process was the hour on hold while they ran everything through their security system to make sure the computer had been obtained improperly.

wow, although a pain in the butt, it seems "Dell" does have (1) good thing going for it. (Solid laptop security features).

Impressive. I didn't know Dell did anything right... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom