need help big time.!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenmcdonald

Beta member
i recently purchased a dell optiplex gx1 with a p111 533 and 15g hd and 256m ram ,cdrom and floppy. this is a computer that we are giving my motherinlaw to play solitaire and ocasional internet /e-mail use. here is my prob. i installed win98se on it all was fine. i then installed a v-92 56k modem into the pci slot. when i tried to detect the modem i was unsuccessfull in both slots with the driver on cdrom. i then removed the modem and went to re-boot, got to the win98 start screen but no further. the hard drive just ran on and on until an error message popped up saying problems reading. i then put in a floppy boot disk to get to dos prompt at least. when i tried to switch over to hard drive (c:) it came up not readable. so this is my quandry.....any help would be appreciated.

maybe your computer is too old that you need a new one. i mean i got problems too when i tried to add a network card to my old compaq, the window recognize there's a new hardware but then an error message showed up after that.

Put the 98 floppy in boot without cdrom support and then type scandisk. But the hard drive does sound like its toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom