Need Help

bt2012

Beta member
I'm one of the new kids on the block and I guess I'm in the right area.

My original hard drive bit the dust, I guess a couple of weeks ago. I had a premonition and copied all my important stuff to dvds. I got two new hard drives and made on the master and one a backup trying to get ready for the next time, when ever that may be.

My problem is I had already gotten one hard drive for the back up and was formatting it when. I left because I was going to be a while and returned to the screen that says that hard drive failure was imminent, back up and replace hard drive.

I just removed the old hard drive and put it away. I had talked to a Geek at Best Buy and found out that they could possibly retrieve the data for a tidy little sum. Thinking I had all I needed I just stashed the old hard drive in case I had overlooked something.

Last week I discovered that I had not gotten the saved email folder when I copied my files. I had some business related emails I was hanging on to for future reference. I need them, but not at the Best Buy Geek price. The world will not come to an end or should I say my world, if I can't get them, but I would like to try an attempt.

Since I stashed the old hard drive when I was told the failure was imminent and to back up. I would now like to try to back up and retrieve the folder with my old emails, but I don't know how to do it at the black screen telling me of the doom of my hard drive.

I've been searching and I have read where you need to know when the screen pops up. It pops up before Windows can start. By the way I'm still using the XP version.

Can some of you help me see if I can get into the old hard drive to back up?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom