Need Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need Help

Iím one of the new kids on the block and I guess Iím in the right area.

My original hard drive bit the dust, I guess a couple of weeks ago. I had a premonition and copied all my important stuff to dvds. I got two new hard drives and made on the master and one a backup trying to get ready for the next time, when ever that may be.

My problem is I had already gotten one hard drive for the back up and was formatting it when. I left because I was going to be a while and returned to the screen that says that hard drive failure was imminent, back up and replace hard drive.

I just removed the old hard drive and put it away. I had talked to a Geek at Best Buy and found out that they could possibly retrieve the data for a tidy little sum. Thinking I had all I needed I just stashed the old hard drive in case I had overlooked something.

Last week I discovered that I had not gotten the saved email folder when I copied my files. I had some business related emails I was hanging on to for future reference. I need them, but not at the Best Buy Geek price. The world will not come to an end or should I say my world, if I canít get them, but I would like to try an attempt.

Since I stashed the old hard drive when I was told the failure was imminent and to back up. I would now like to try to back up and retrieve the folder with my old emails, but I donít know how to do it at the black screen telling me of the doom of my hard drive.

Iíve been searching and I have read where you need to know when the screen pops up. It pops up before Windows can start. By the way Iím still using the XP version.

Can some of you help me see if I can get into the old hard drive to back up?

bt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default Re: Need Help

i would try one of these

GRC*|*Hard drive data recovery software**

office politics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need Help

Thanks office politics,

I'll give it a shot.
bt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote