Need extra harddrive to boot win7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need extra harddrive to boot win7

Alright so i have always had a problem with my computer, it is not extremely important but it bugs me. I have the coolermaster hafx case and when i was installing windows i had a 20 gig 2.5" drive in the hotswap bay without noticing. So i installed windows 7 on two 1tb drives in raid 0. everything works but if i do not have the 20 gig in my computer it will not boot into windows. it gets past the post and says:

Loading Operating System...
Cannot find boot media please insert restore disk and reboot.

or it says something like that. So somehow some boot media is on my 20 gb drive. the problem is i cant find any files at all on my 20gb drive. i dont want to format it and not be able to boot and lose everything.

Basicly my 20 gb is like a key to run my computer. I dont know if i can remake boot info on the 2tb raid i havent looked into. any suggestions will be appreaciated.

PS. sorry if this is hard to understand i am very tired while writing this

Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need extra harddrive to boot win7

Have you checked your boot order in BIOS? Something might be screwing it up when you remove the 20GB.

It could also be that the 100MB system reserved partition accidentally installed onto the 20GB without you noticing at the time of installation. To fix this you need the same version DVD of Windows 7 to do an "upgrade". You can tell the boot files to install to another location at that time.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need extra harddrive to boot win7

Thanks for the advice, my bios boot order is not changed when i remove the 20g and the 20 g shows no usage but i will try the upgrade and post results.
Closed Thread