MyBook Pro 500GB firewire problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default MyBook Pro 500GB firewire problem

I'm having difficulties with my MyBook Pro 500GB...

PC1 [retail]
PC2 [built] got this installed Newegg.com - Koutech 3+1 Port FireWire/1394b & 1394a PCI Host Controller Model 1314 - Retail

it worked fine on PC1, but on PC2 doesn't want to read and install proper drivers/button manager using Firewire A or B, but it's fine when using USB on mobo, but i really want to try out how fast this FireWire B is! i've used my install disc, no luck. used downloads from WD website, no luck. any advice?

did i need to hook up the 4-pin? the manual didn't say anything about hooking it up, so i didn't... Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: MyBook Pro 500GB firewire problem

yea, plug the 4-pin in and see if that works. It should do the trick.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok so i plugged it in, but still doesn't want to install properly... any other thoughts?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

did you try the firewire B port thing in the other computer? Like take it out put it in the other pc and see if it works there.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

actually PC1 doesn't have FW-b but it has FW-a, but then on PC2 FW-a didn't work either on the PCI card or the MoBo. but my other FW-a hard drive works on both FW-a ports on PC2...

[ha ha did u understand that?]
Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

ok, so the drive works on fw-a on pc1 and it doesn't work on pc2. but your other fw-a drive works on pc2's fw-a.

try the cable that worked from drive a and use it on drive b (the new one.)

Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok tried what u have suggested and it still won't work.

here is the window that shows up no matter how i attempt to install it.

ImageShack - Hosting :: wdinstallproblem001bo1.jpg

Closed Thread