My wireless mouse - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 128
Default My wireless mouse

A year or 2 ago, i bought a wireless mouse from ebuyer (the mouse manufacturer is chic) it was really good at first but then I started to have problems. I changed the batteries and then every now and then the mouse pointer would fly off the screen, and the mouse's laser would go out or flash rapidly. when i changed the batteries i put in standard ones, and i didn't put it in the charger after i changed them (they weren't rechargeable) on the back of the mouse it says 200mA and i think that because I put in different power batteries it might have caused a problem. the thing i can't find any triple 200 mA batteries anywhere. im going to buy a new mouse this weekend, so i'm not looking to fix this (although if i can i will) im really looking for an answer as to why this happens
Thanks for any help
__________________

Death Row is offline  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Alvin.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,580
Default Re:

Hello,

Okies...firstly it's a red LED, not a laser! ...laser mice are different.

Ni-MH and Ni-CD Rechargeable batteries are rated at 1.2 volts.

Alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable, common standard disposeable batteries) provide 1.5 volts.

It could be that using alkaline batteries has damaged your mouse, but I wouldn't think a 0.3v increase would cause major damage, it usually works fine.

Also, you don't need to look for and use specifically 200mAh batteries for your mouse, just because it came with them. The Milli-ampere hour rating is just units of charge (so how long the rechargeable battery will last after being fully charged). So, using a water tank as an analogy, how much the water tank can hold (the capacity), not how fast the water flows out of the tank (or in other words rate). So, in any device, you can use rechargeable batteries at any rated capacity, and it won't damage the device in any way.

However, the higher the mAh rating, the better, because it means that the device that the device will be powered longer, because the batteries can hold more energy due to greater capacity. 200mAh is very poor, and it means you're going to have to re-charge your wireless mouse more frequently, because it will run out of power quickly. Nowadays, rechargeable AAA batteries go as high as 1000mAh and rechargeable AA batteries exceed 2000mAh.

The only thing you need to be concerned about really is whether the rechargeable batteries are Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) or Nickel Metal Cadmium (Ni-CD). They are different batteries made of different chemicals. If your mouse originally came with Ni-CD batteries, then the mouse charger will probably only charge Ni-CD batteries safely. In this case, buy the highest capacity (highest mAh rating) Ni-CD batteries you can. Otherwise, buy the highest capacity rated Ni-MH batteries you can.

Put them in your mouse, and charge them up using your mouse charger, then test it. Also, make sure that the optical lens on the underside of the mouse is clean and free of impurities. Use a lightly damped cotton swap or something similar to clean the plastic lens. You might find it easier if you open the mouse to do this.

Also try changing the RF channel if your mouse allows you to.
__________________

__________________
Alvin.C
linkedin.com/in/alvinwkchan

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Alvin.C is offline  
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Thanks for the great info, but the thing is i replaced it with non rechargeable batteries, and thne i never put it in the charger. and im not certain what you mean by rf channnel is it the frequency the signal from the mouse is sent at?
Death Row is offline  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Alvin.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,580
Default Re:

Hello,

I understand that you didn't place the mouse in the charger when there were alkaline batteries in...

I meant, the 0.3v voltage increase from shifting from rechargeable batteries to alkaline batteries may have caused damage...but it's very unlikely.

What wireless mouse do you have?

Wireless mice use Radio Frequencies to transmit information from the mouse to the reciever. Some mice allow you to change the RF channel of the frequency, to try and eliminate interferance from other wireless devices. Some have more than two, most have two channels, and very few have only one channel...but this depends on what wireless mouse you have.
__________________
Alvin.C
linkedin.com/in/alvinwkchan

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Alvin.C is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.