Is my video card dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
I have a two year-old video card, an EVGA 8800GTS 640 MB. I recently started experiencing artifacts and system crashes. I updated my drivers all the way and Windows Vista 32-bit to service pack 1, but the problem persists.

I'm starting to not think it is software related. I am seeing the artifacts even during system boot before Windows loads. Even while running Memtest80+ I see random characters on the screen. Memtest86+ shouldn't use Window's drivers, right? That would suggest a hardware problem, right?

Just want to make sure it's the video card before I send it back.

Also, how is EVGA's return service? I bought this PC from PC Club a couple years ago, but it seems they closed all their stores last year, so I assume there is no one there to take it back.

Sounds like the GPU is dying, or the memory on the GPU is crapping (common issue with that card g80 GTS, Oreo had this problem a while back)

eVGA is really nice about stuff, ask for an RMA and they'll be really good about it... get their contact number online, and they'll probably give you a G92 GTS or 9800GTX or +

They wouldn't RMA it...

Because it wasn't registered within 30 days of purchase, I didn't get any warranty.

Can anyone recommend any other brands? Preferably ones that back up their products without weird conditions...

well to get the warranty you must register within a certain num of days, same thing with my xfx i had to register with in 60 days of purchase. but evga and xfx are very good brands. what is your budget?

I ended up going going with an XFX 9800 GT. Yeah, their policy is the same, but it just felt weird giving more money to EVGA after being declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom