Is my RAM running at the right speed? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dipique
Default Is my RAM running at the right speed?

I just built a new computer with an E6650 2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM (4x1GB) 2 of which are GSkill 800's and 2 of which are Kingston HyperX 1066's, GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Mobo, SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 sound card, 256mb (GDDR3) 8500GT and a decent power supply (24A on the 12v rail).

It's pretty. I have it running XP Media Center. Anyhow, my question was about my memory. I set the BIOS to have all four modules to run at 1066, and the computer is running fine at those settings... but how do I know if they really are? I opened CPU-Z and it said the DRAM frequency was 533mhz, which is exactly half of what I expected. Is it running at 533 or 1066?

Another question I had was about overclocking. Can the components I have handle it? I know the multiplier-locked 1333 mhz Core 2 Duos aren't the best, but it should be able to make at least a small jump. But can my RAM, mobo, and everything else do it?

Last question: I installed the soundcard to minimize the load on my processor. I also have an ethernet card... would installing it take any additional load off the processor? If so, I'll put it in... why not, you know?

Dan

Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Is my RAM running at the right speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipique View Post

It's pretty. I have it running XP Media Center. Anyhow, my question was about my memory. I set the BIOS to have all four modules to run at 1066, and the computer is running fine at those settings... but how do I know if they really are? I opened CPU-Z and it said the DRAM frequency was 533mhz, which is exactly half of what I expected. Is it running at 533 or 1066?
Your RAM speed is running correctly. RAM speed is measured in doubles. So 533 is really running at 1066. Hence the name DDR (Double Data Rate). This is to increase the efficiency of data transfer. So data is transfered at both the rise and fall of a clock signal. Instead of just one transfer.

Quote:
Another question I had was about overclocking. Can the components I have handle it? I know the multiplier-locked 1333 mhz Core 2 Duos aren't the best, but it should be able to make at least a small jump. But can my RAM, mobo, and everything else do it?
Your parts are designed for overclocking. Core 2 Duos, G. Skill memory, and a P35 chipset motherboard. I hope you have some aftermarket cooling for the CPU.

Quote:
Last question: I installed the soundcard to minimize the load on my processor. I also have an ethernet card... would installing it take any additional load off the processor? If so, I'll put it in... why not, you know?
An ethernet card is not necessary. The ethernet connection is not even demanding enough, for a CPU to be struggling with it. And since you have a dual core, it's even better. Rarely anybody here uses an ethernet card.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Closed Thread