Is my RAM dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
During the POST, the LED on my mobo will give me a number if something is wrong. I've been getting a code C1, which is a memory problem. "Auto detection of DRAM size, type, and ECC".

So, I pull the RAM and switched it to a different slot. It booted up fine, but after a few minutes of use the system would lock up. I would reset it and get code C1 again. So just for the heck of it, I switched the RAM back to the original slot. It worked again. I shut it off and after sitting awhile, it won't boot up again giving me code C1.

Basically, if I just keep swapping the RAM from one slot to the other, it will keep working. But if the RAM stays in one slot, it will eventually quit working. Do I have a dead stick of RAM or is it my mobo?

Well, if your computer doesn't hang up for a while, you can try a memory test. Or, if you have another computer, try a memory test on it. Else, you can try a different RAM, borrow one from a friend or something.

Well nevermind. Today it wont even boot up at all, no matter what I try. It's dead and it's brand new. :angry:

Go to your basement and get out your hammer. Or better yet put on your timberlands and jump up and down on the motherboard while throwing the ram dimms against the wall. Then get some wire and stick it into the wall socket and give a reviving shock once to your ram and once to your mobo and you will know which one is really dead. ;P

Tried a RAM out of my old PC today and it worked, so that memory is infact dead. Guess this time I will buy some G.skill value RAM instead of ebay junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom