Is my PSU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... well my problem has taken a lot of different turns. Could you elaborate a little bit on what similar issues you had?

I'm shopping around for a motherboard and a CPU right now but does anyone know the highest compatible AMD processor that my motherboard takes? It's a Biostar TForce4 SLI. I checked the Biostar website and while it shows it for the other motherboards, it doesn't for this one.

Also I should point out that the computer was still on when I came back from class around an hour ago.

Hmm... well my problem has taken a lot of different turns. Could you elaborate a little bit on what similar issues you had?

I'm shopping around for a motherboard and a CPU right now but does anyone know the highest compatible AMD processor that my motherboard takes? It's a Biostar TForce4 SLI. I checked the Biostar website and while it shows it for the other motherboards, it doesn't for this one.

Also I should point out that the computer was still on when I came back from class around an hour ago.

I had very frequent turn offs just at random and i got so bad off as to where i couldnt even see CMOS. so what i did was deduce if it was the mobo or not. i tested to see if it was my PSU by jumping it and that wasnt the case so i pluged everything back in and took my CPU out and took off the CPU power pin and my fans got spun up and stayed on even my GPU fan so i knew it wouldnt be the mobo because my GFX card was getting power and sending a signal even without a PSU connection

i deduced this because if your 24 pin isnt in a complete circuit then none of your molex connections will work. so i noticed that seing as how the electricity can complete a circuit nd come back to the 24 pin on its negative side there for a complete circuit it wouldnt be a faulty board.

so i went up to my local tigerdirect
bought me a new CPU and poped that bad boy in and presto DawnOfDoom was up and running again.

Well I remember jumping my PSU and it was still working but I replaced it anyway and I am now at least able to boot up the computer every time.

I have been looking to upgrade my CPU anyway but it seems like I'll have to upgrade my motherboard as the highest compatible CPU is a 4800. I'm looking at getting a 6400.

The MSI one is for ATI cards though. I'm looking for an SLI board at the moment because I don't want to upgrade on my 7800GTs just yet.

I just want to bring up my main problem again which I hope I can fix today. I have deduced every possible problem and I have now found out that when I leave my case down it never will randomly shut off but when I leave the case up and standing like how it should be, it'll rarely get past the Windows XP screen without shutting down and even if it does it ends up shutting down shortly thereafter.

try taking out your motherboard and removing the standoffs that its on and replace the stand offs and make sure their in tight and when yu put the board back in make sure the board is down tight so its grounded with the case.

I actually think it has to do with the stock CPU fan since I'm pretty sure the computer goes to shut down mode once it detects that there is no fan attached to the CPU in order to prevent overheating and damaging it. I'm thinking of purchasing this Newegg.com - ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

I also noticed that my DVD drives do not open up nor does the light light up. I have two hard drives which are SATA and two DVD drives, one is a DVD rom and the other a DVD-RW. The DVD-RW is set to master and the DVD rom to slave and I attached both to the IDE1 slot on the motherboard. Did I do something wrong here?

Ugh, pretty dumb of me. The molex connector was loose and it seemed to have fixed the problem except for the fact that neither of the two will open up when I hit the open button. It just makes a little noise like it's trying to come out but can't. I can only get it to open by using a paper clip through the emergency hole.

I also noticed that from looking at the manual, I did not have anything connected from the audio output to my soundcard. The manual says that if I have a soundcard I should connect those two but I never have. Does this make any difference if it is not?

i doubt taht the cable makes a difference

it sounds like maybe the motor isnt getting enough juice or is about to die out on you. when you close it does it go back in smothly or do you haveto kinda force it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom