Is my PSU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booted up the computer and surprisingly I got the Biostar screen and could go into BIOS. However, after exiting BIOS and trying to get to the Windows XP screen, it says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I remember getting this same message when I first built my computer and booted it up for the first time. I had to send it in to a PC shop and they eventually got it fixed for me. Do I need my Windows XP CD for this? I have no idea where it is and the DVD drive won't open anyway.

Did you reattach your harddrive? If its not attached thats why it would say that, but if it is attached boot off your windows XP disk and run a repair install.

This is exactly what has happened to my PC, I will try this when I get back home tonight.

I will keep you updated!

Thank you for your help! The computer booted up fine and I was able to login to Windows after reattaching the harddrive. This is slightly off-topic but if you remember earlier in the thread, the Zalman CPU fan that I had broke off and I am currently using the stock AMD fan on my computer now. Is this sufficient enough considering I play a lot of graphics and CPU intensive games? I'm looking at speedfan right now and while idle, it currently shows:
Temp3: 62C
Temp: 1C
HD0: 43C
HD1: 45C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 72C (HOT)

Do you think picking up a new CPU fan would help cool things down? Are there any certain ones you recommend? Thanks again in advance!

Although i don't know the max allowed temp for that processor, it does seem hot.

You can replace the fan on the heatsink for one with greater CFM, or you can just buy a new and better heatsink all together dependant on how much you want to spend.

OK, so the computer ran fine this morning and then I turned it off and went to class. Came back and booted everything up but now it seems to shut off randomly. Normally right at the Windows XP screen with the bar loading, can't seem to get past that. What could be the problem?

You have a differen't power supply now right?

Well, I would clear the CMOS again.

And if it still doesn't work, RMA the motherboard, and if it's out of warranty, try a BIOS flash even though it probably won't change anything. If it still doesn't work or you can't even flash BIOS, then its time for a new motherboard.

make sure you back up all important data before installing a different mobo.

It seems to work fine again after clearing the CMOS, however, when I turn the computer off and turn it back on it begins to shut down again randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom