Is my PSU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have another PSU. Is there anything else that I could do? Also the PSU is about two years old? Would I still be able to get a replacement from Antec?

a way to test the CPU is by taking it out along with the heatsink and plug all your power cables in this completes the circuit which allows the fans ot turn on
if your getting power out of your fans because the 24 pin is in then its probably the CPU i've had this issue. a simple swap for an e4500 and i was set to go

I actually already tried that and I was indeed getting power with the CPU out. Does this mean the CPU is the problem?

The Paper clip test is only good enough to say, "it works well enough to power on and maintain a few fans" so the power supply could still be on it's way to dieing. We won't know until you try another power supply..

Theres really nothing else you can do, Antec may have had a 3 year awarranty on that power supply, you will have to check the paper work you should have kept when you bought it..

Though it was probably only a one year warranty.

So you still have to try another power supply..

Er, maybe I should just gamble and order a PSU? It's covered by Newegg's 30 day refund so I guess it could be worth a shot but from what we've narrowed it down to, it is likely either the CPU or PSU, right?

Er, maybe I should just gamble and order a PSU? It's covered by Newegg's 30 day refund so I guess it could be worth a shot but from what we've narrowed it down to, it is likely either the CPU or PSU, right?

More likely the motherboard than the CPU. sure go ahead and order a new power supply, if you shove it in and same problem occurs then you need to RMA or replace the motherboard.

what is your budget for the power supply?

Edit: 450 Watt Fortron will do nicely though it is far from your only choice.

More likely the motherboard than the CPU. sure go ahead and order a new power supply, if you shove it in and same problem occurs then you need to RMA or replace the motherboard.

what is your budget for the power supply?

Edit: 450 Watt Fortron will do nicely though it is far from your only choice.

True motherboard going makes more sense with the problems....

Sorry I'm not an expert on this stuff but how is that one more expensive when it is only 450W? The one in my previous post is $10 cheaper, has 600W, and is SLI-ready. And would that 450W be enough for all the stuff I have? In addition to the stuff in my sig, I have an extra 160GB hard drive and a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom