Is my PSU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
My computer cannot boot up for longer than one second. I took out everything inside and placed parts back one by one to see if it was something shorting out. Turns out whenever I plug in to the ATX Power Source Connector which according to my mobo manual provides +12V to CPU power circuit, the computer can't boot up. However, when I leave it off, the computer boots up but there is nothing on screen and no lights at the front of my case. Is this most definitely a dead PSU?

Hello,

What happens? Does it turn off right after turning the PC on? Do you see anything on screen and do you hear any system beeps?

Have you made any significant hardware / software changes recently?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Yes, I hit the power button and it doesn't stay on for longer than a few milliseconds. There is no beeps and I haven't made any significant hardware or software changes lately.

Alright.

Reset the BIOS if not done so already. There's also a possibility that the system is overheating, though if you're computer turns off just a few seconds of being turned on after having rested for a while, then it's highly unlikely. But make sure that vents, heatsinks and fans are free of dust anyway.

My next step would be to remove/disconnect any unnecessary hardware from your computer (including hard drives and PCI sound card if you have one) leaving just the essentials connected (motherboard, RAM, processor, graphics card, keyboard, mouse and monitor...keeping heatsinks and fans installed, of course).

If you've got multiple RAM modules installed, install just one RAM module. Turn the PC on and see if the problem persists. Also try swapping RAM modules with other modules (if you've got more than one) and power on to see if you get the same problem.

If the problem still exists at this stage then it's likely that your PSU, RAM, CPU or motherboard is faulty. You may need to troubleshoot by swapping these components one by one with other components. Start with the PSU.

Most computers have a 'self-protect' function which shuts down the computer if it detects a short/fault in the pc, which is why your pc is shutting down. The most likely parts that are causing the problems are either the cpu or the psu. Like Alvin said, just do a basic swap troubleshoot on the hardware.

Dissconnect everything but the case fans, get some type of rubber glove on, take a paper clip and on the 24 Pin power connector, touch the green wire to a black wire.

If power supply turns on, and stays on, then the power supply is probably not dead and it is more likely that the mobo is dead.

And if it doesn't turn on, well its dead..

But, since the fans power on for like a second its more likely a bad mobo, course only way to know is to either RMA the power supply or try a different one all together.

I tried taking out everything and leaving only the basic stuff inside and it still did not boot up. Again, the computer boots up fine every time only if I don't plug the PSU into the ATX Power Source Connector but there is nothing on the screen and no lights on the front of the case. If it is plugged in, it only turns on for less than a second.

Also how would I restart the BIOS with the computer off?

Do what I said....
Again, the computer boots up fine every time only if I don't plug the PSU into the ATX Power Source Connector but there is nothing on the screen and no lights on the front of the case.

What do you mean by this...

Don't plug in what? ATX Power source.... Explain.

Interesting new development, someone on another forum suggested I take out the CPU and leave that Power Connector in and the computer booted up just like it did with the CPU in but the Connector out -- nothing on screen, no lights on front of case but at least it booted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom