My PC Wont Turn On At All! Hardwear Problem Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default My PC Wont Turn On At All! Hardwear Problem Help!

Im using this old pentium 2 machine write this but my other PC is muffed up. I turn it on and it tells me that i have a hardwear error so windows couldnt start. It gives me 5 choices: safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, start with most recently know working settings and start normally.

Which ever one i choose it just leads to a 'no signal' sign on my PC. Please help! What could be the matter?

BTW i have reseated my video (graphics) card.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

hmm doesnt sound good....what does the hardware error say..if anything at all?

Old 10-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Have you installed any new hardware recently? if so take it out. I would also strip the machine down to bear minimum. cpu ram vid card and see what happens. If that fixes it put cards back one at a time to determine which is the problem.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

PC Make and Model? CPU/RAM/graphics/audio particulars? More info helps.

"My PC doesn't work right. What is wrong?" - This seldom gets good answers either
The box said \"Requires Windows 98 or better\" I installed Linux. There\'s no going back.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Do you have a boot disk for an OS? You could try to boot off a CD or a floopy (make sure you have the right order in your BIOS). If it boots off a disk then it's an OS problem. If not, you know it's hardware related.

Yeah, take down the computer to the bare minimum as stated above. Also, does it have a generic onboard video as well as a graphics card?

As for a boot disk, you can look for one from Bart or Knoppix (linux).
"To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so." - Robert Orben
Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The way you explain the problem is unclear. Which computer is the one doing this, the pentium 2 or your other one? Need system specs, and what were the circumstances where it stopped working? Did you just get it from someone and it does this? Have you installed any new hardware/done anything with the OS?

-edit after reading your message again, I see what you mean by using your p2 to write this, the grammar used made it very unclear so I mistook what you said.
A+ certified.
I now am on the interweb:
Old 10-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Dont worry people it was my graphics card it burnt out. Sos about my unspecific and unclear info i will make it better in the future

Closed Thread