My PC will not Shutdown

Thirtygram

Solid State Member
Hello, i just recently bought a new case, a new CPU cooler and a new SSD for my PC. after swapping all of my components over to my new case my PC booted fine and everything was as per usual. then i decided to get back in there a tidy up all of my cabling and such. since doing this, my PC will boot up fine and operate well, but then when i go to shutdown, windows displays the shutting down message page and then i lose the signal to my monitors but the PC will not turn off, all the fans remain running and LEDs all stay on. and even when i hold down the power button on the front of my PC it makes no difference i am at a complete loss as to what would cause this please help!

also i have tried holding down the power button without attempting to shut down first, and it will just proceed to the shutting down page and the same thing happens.

my specs are

I5 2500k
Zotac GTX 470
4gb Gskill ram
600W corsair PSU
60gb OCZ agility SSD (With windows 7 installed)
120gb samsung 840 evo SSd
1TB seagate barracude 7200

Hello, i just recently bought a new case, a new CPU cooler and a new SSD for my PC. after swapping all of my components over to my new case my PC booted fine and everything was as per usual. then i decided to get back in there a tidy up all of my cabling and such. since doing this, my PC will boot up fine and operate well, but then when i go to shutdown, windows displays the shutting down message page and then i lose the signal to my monitors but the PC will not turn off, all the fans remain running and LEDs all stay on. and even when i hold down the power button on the front of my PC it makes no difference i am at a complete loss as to what would cause this please help!

also i have tried holding down the power button without attempting to shut down first, and it will just proceed to the shutting down page and the same thing happens.

my specs are

I5 2500k
Zotac GTX 470
4gb Gskill ram
600W corsair PSU
60gb OCZ agility SSD (With windows 7 installed)
120gb samsung 840 evo SSd
1TB seagate barracude 7200

Turn off the computer and unplug it, look at the motherboard.
Find your pwd connector and your reset connector wire.
Grab the manuel and place them where it says to.
If you noticed the power led light is on and you plug in your computer...
It will bootup automatically and that indicates your wiring is wrong.

Check out google videos for small tutorials and case wiring hookup for your mobo/case.

Ok thankyou MikeTech, double checked them and they were all in the correct positions but i unplugged em all and replugged them all back in and the problem is gone, so i guess one may have been loose or something.

thanks again.

Ok, unfortunately I am going to have to omit my last post. I did manage a single successful shut down after redoing my wiring, and I am positive it is correct. But since then I havent been able to.

So I thought it might be linked to another issue I have had for a while, my windows seems to boot very slowly before my login screen, then once I log in I have about 40s of windows welcome screen followed by a 60-70s black screen with just mouse cursor. Then my desktop will load.

I thought it may have been the firmware on my ocz agility ssd, it was out of date, but I managed to update it and it hasnt made a difference to either of my issues. Still cannot shutdown, and still having very slow windows 7 load.

swapping all of my components over to my new case my PC booted fine and everything was as per usual. then i decided to get back in there a tidy up all of my cabling and such. since doing this, my PC will boot up fine and operate well, but then when i go to shutdown, windows displays the shutting down message page

Something doesn't make sense here so let me ask you 2 things to narrow this down quickly ?

1. What exactly did you fix up inside your case to make it turn off unexpectedly ?
"details is good so explain if you dont mind"
2. I noticed you said windows 7 was getting ready to shut down ?

Can you boot back into windows 7 and look at the power management settings and see if you can have it.
Power off when you hit the power button and not turn off the display or put the machine to sleep ?

I could understand if you are using your computer and all of sudden it just shuts off o you without warning.
If you hear a small crackle or buzzing I say something maybe up with one of your components.

Let me know what happens soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom