My pc keeps rebooting: gfx card overheats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musvogel

Beta member
Hello everyone!

I have this problem, I cannot play games of any kind because my pc reboots, I think it is because my gfx card gets too hot, as it only happens when I play a game that is straining my gpu (transport tycoon runs mighty fine lol!)

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550@2.33ghz, my gpu is an aTI radeon HD 4800, I have not overcloacked it in any way, ever. I've had this card for almost a year now I think, only recently this problem has appeared..

What I find abnormal are my gpu temperatures.. I'm not an expert but.. When my gpu is idle (only windows & firefox running) and with the fan turned to 100% (manual fan control) my temperature is about 80° - 83° C I find that a little too hot, no? and that is with the fan turned on max just when XP starts up..

What are my options?

Thanks for reading, hope you can help out,

Mus.

If your card is idling at 83C, then you have a big problem. When was the last time you blew the dust of out it?

Allright, I took the whole card out, blew as much dust out of it as I could (cannot use vacuum at this time of the night), also did the cpu & general power unit. I also took an old cpu fan that I had lying around, and put it at the bottom of my case, it's blowing vertically into the underside of my gfx card.

My idling temp now, still with gpu fan blowing at 100%, is around 63° C. Is that still too high?

Thank you for your input.

Seems a bit high even for 100% , but drop the fan speed some, and see what you get then. But with my HD 3850, even at 100% fan speed, I really don't get much, if any of a temperature change.

It's stabilised itself at around 68-71°C now, it doesn't move anymore & stays at that. So I decreased it with around 12°C... Tomorrow I'll use the vacuum cleaner & try to generally cool down my room a lot more, I'll let you know.

Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom