my pc installed updates, and now wont turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default my pc installed updates, and now wont turn on

basically, i downloaded updates on my pc while it was running then i restarted to install them, the pc said it was installing them when i booted up, it got to 100%, then it turned off.
now, when i turn it on, the pc comes on, fan's and cpu cooler are on.
but i get no display and no power to my usb devices.
i had this problem before and i solved it by moving the harddrives, but this is different.
i currently have it sat in a corner with all the power leads unplugged, and im gonna try again in about 30 min.
have you guys ever heard of this problem or have a solution?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: my pc installed updates, and now wont turn on

Try running it on bare essentials, unplug everything, run on one stick of RAM and GFX.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: my pc installed updates, and now wont turn on

Firstly is this laptop, desktop or other?

Secondly check the fuse in the plug for the display and try it in a different plug socket that you know works. test the socket with a lamp before and after is a good way. What are the contrast and brightness settings at? It is an old school prank, that makes it look like the monitor is dead when really the back light is just turned off by playing with contrast and brightness settings. If no luck then try and get a hold of another monitor and try that one as it may be the monitor has a broken backlight which happens once in a while.

If that doesn't work then continue and repeat the above

To be honest the loss of USB functionality is a little strange and hints at a possible motherboard problem. Do as Mindova Master says and just run the bare necessities. If your mobo has an on board video adapter I would also try that as there is a very slim chance it changed to the on board as default in the installation process.

Test as in 3rd paragraph above

To clarify was this a windows update or a BIOS update?

Can you give us any info on the pc e.g. Parts, Age, Any problems you have noticed in the past 6 months such as a BSOD, anything installed recently (last month), any websites that were out of your usual safe browsing recently and anything else that has struck your or other users of the computer as unusual since you turned it on for the first time.
Closed Thread