My PC that i build wont turn on HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanireland

Beta member
Hello,
First time i used this forum but i need help. I bought parts from overclockers.co.uk 2 weeks ago and after them forgetting to send out my powersupply i got it today and put it in. When i pressed the power button Notting happen. There are no lights on the motherboard at all and Notting turns on at all. All i can tell you is that powersupply lead has power and when i turn on powersupply button at the back of the pc i can hear a noise that sound like spark or something that means there power. My freind looked over everything for like two hours and cant find a problem, i know it can be hardware fault but i need to try and see is there any other problem help please anyone?

my PC SPEC:
MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gbs 16MB Cache - OEM
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Samsung SH-S222ABRSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (BlackSilverBiege)
Phobya Nano-G 14 Silent Waterproof 1000rpm 140mm Fan
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

If it's sparking, that can be a big problem. Do you have any other PSU around? I would try a different one just to check.

its not sparking really, i just did not use the best words to describe it, its makes a noise that you know that there power in the power supply button

resetting ram ?? how i do that, would that cause it to have no lights on the motherboard at all, and yes i have it plugged in and plug has power :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLy8rZRjU8 This video shows you how to double check that your power supply works (particularly the motherboard connector). Or if you prefer text and pictures: How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components But make sure you put the paperclip in the correct pins (note: I do not know what happens if you use the wrong pins...so don't mess up :p ). Alternatively, you could just plug a fan with a molex connector into the PSU and make sure it runs.

Other than that, I'd just make sure all cables are plugged in correctly, and if the light on the motherboard doesn't turn on...then your best bet is to RMA the motherboard in my opinion.

I had the same problem first with my new (and first own) build, but it turned out I had plugged the small cable from the chassis power on button incorrectly to the motherboard, so I would check that. Referring to the motherboard manual shows the correct way to connect power on button, power on led etc. cables.

Hopefully you have Solved this problem by now but if you have not, you need to do some Fault Finding. Check that the PSU Unit is Turned on via the back and set at I in order to give the Unit Power, you need to make sure you have the Headers on the Motherbord set correctly as in Power to Power, HDD to HDD, Reset Swich to Reset Swich, from the acutall Case you have for your Build.

My Advice is that you purchase a PSU Tester, in order to check the Unit is working ok, I have one here at Home and it will State the Voltage of the Rails in the Unit and will state if "Good" or "Bad", via Green or Red LEDs.

If the Unit is connected to the Motherbord via the 24 Pin Power Surply, even if you connect a Visual source for the pourpus of being able to see the Bair Bones of the System Working, that would be a good thing, concidering you have a output to you Screen.

Install the Cpu, Heatsink and Fan, Memory, and PSU, then Connect a Monitor thus checking its working fine. Start off with one Stick, and Install the Rest if all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom