my pc doesnt boot coz of my gpu i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_barrows

Beta member
ok heres the problem... whenever i power up my pc the cpu comes on but the monitor doesnt display anything (the light of the monitor goes from green to orange.. u know the one at the side of the monitor power button) and u can see from the lights of the cpu that it doesnt start booting up my windows. I have to put the main power of my computer on and off 2-4 times before i get my monitor to display something and my pc to boot.
i think its my gpu because doesnt your pc initialize in this manner

gpu ---------> ram

or is it

ram ------> gpu????

if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it please let me know
thanks

let me clear something up first. it sounds like your falling into the trap of calling the entire computer a CPU, the CPU is just a component. first to try and rule out the vgraphics card see if you can borrow another one to find out if the pc will boot with it. if not you will have to start looking at other hardware problems. you don't overclock do you?

nitestick... i am calling the casing of the computer with all the components(mobo processor etc) in it the CPU is that not what u call it???? the thing is i cant get my hands on another gpu at the moment so i cant see if it is indeed my gpu that is giving trouble..... but say if it aint the GPU that is giving me trouble shoudnt i atleast get the main bios initialization screen???? thnx again 4 ur help

amd2800 i would apreciate it if u would only post a reply if u have something productive to say and not just post replies to increase your techie rating!

el_barrows said:
nitestick... i am calling the casing of the computer with all the components(mobo processor etc) in it the CPU is that not what u call it????

1. No. The CPU is the Central Processing Unit, not the entire case with eveything inside it- its the Intel or AMD chip inside the Computer.

2. Do you mean CPU or GPU as in Graphics Processing Unit (Video Card)?

3. Do you get any beep codes when you turn it on (make sure the pc speaker is connected)?

4. Have you checked to make sure the video card and RAM is seated properly on the motherboard?

If you don't even get Beep Codes then it could possibly be a CPU issue. No or Dead CPU usually gives you absolutly nothing.

If you do get beep codes, check this site out:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

it is possible that a failed video card could cause the problem but if that was the case you would almost certainly get a beep code. i say it is more likely that other hardware has failed. the most likely possibilities are an IDE drive (cd/hard drive) memory or the motherboard. cpu's (IMO) fail less than most other components so i say its the least likely. to try and narrow the possibilities check the RAM and then try booting without the cd drive attached. also download a program called memtest86 and allow that to run, it should tell you if your RAM is faulty.

htcs... i know the processor is the cpu of the pc but over here in pakistan everyone calls the main base-unit(the case with the mobo processor etc ) a CPU.... what is the actual term for it???????

wherever i wrote gpu in my post i meant graphics processing unit......

also now i have started getting a really loud noise from my gpu's(video cards) fan......... so i think it is the gpu that is giving trouble..... anyway i will check out to see if i get any beeps while booting up... i have my pc speaker disabled so will have to enable it now
thanks again 4 all ur help

Whats your power supply, I had this exact same problem before and it was because my power supply wasnt properly supplying enough power for all the components of the computer to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom