My nightmare continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
My computer specs:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 Motherboard
E5200 Wolfdale 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo Processor
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Corsair 400W PSU
Saphire Radeon 4830
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer

Ok, so if you don't recall, I got all the parts for my first system build ever around 3-4 weeks ago, but ran into a problem. My mobo wasn't getting any power whatsoever (no lights, no fans, nothing at all).

Checked PSU via paper clip, works.
Checked chassis cables (power switch/reset switch, etc) in another mobo, got LED lights which lead me to believe they are fine.

Naturally, I thought it to be a mobo problem, so I RMAed it. I just got the mobo back yesterday, hook everything up...same exact problem.

Now I'm running out of time (with 30 day return policies, and what not), and I would obviously like to get this thing running, I really need your help.

My next thought is that it's the processor...could I try my Dell Dimension 3000 processor (Intel Celeron 2.4 GHZ) in my new Gigabyte mobo? Are they incompatible?

The only other thing I could think of would be the PSU, which I have tested to be good via the paper clip method, but it still could somehow not be providing power to the motherboard, right? Shouldn't I get some lights on the mobo regardless of whether or not it can POST successfully?

My PSU's 24-pin molex connector (the main mobo connector) has a missing pin, completely missing (light shines completely through it), no little brass thing at all...is that normal? I was told once that it is, I would like to double check. I'll post a picture later today, I have to head to work soon.

Also, one more thing...as this being my first build, I'm obviously ignorant about some things, like the CMOS and 'jumpers'...I really have no idea about these things, and have not messed with them at all....is there any way these could be the problem?

ANYTHING else you guys could think of, anything that is typically missed by first time builders, would really help me out...please help me to get this thing running! Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on putting my Celeron 2.4 GHZ processor into my new Gigabyte mobo? Are they compatible? That seems to me to be the only way to test to see if the E5200 is good.

You could throw your celeron into the motherboard if you want, it is compatiable.

You might also want to 'reseat' the RAM. Make sure it is in properly

EDIT: One of the pins from the 24-pin molex is missing? I've never heard of that before. Your PSU may power up but if the 24-pin molex is stuffed then power won't get to the motherboard

I guess a lot of 24-pin connectors have a pin missing these days. I figured out that it was my case shorting out the mobo, just reseated it in there and everything's good now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom