My Laptop Keeps freezing randomly, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Arrow 2

Solid State Member
I have a Hp Pavilion Dv2000 laptop with Windows Vista Basic. Recently my laptop has started freezing for no apparent reason. I thought it was an overheating problem, so i went to Futureshop and bought a Rocket Fish cooling pad. My laptop is now always cool but my laptop keeps freezing and I do not know why.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I don't know if this is why it freezes but whenever i run the Smart Defrag program or scan my pc (Panda AV 2009) it seems to freeze?

Yes check the event viewer. Also is it ONLY when that program runs or has it happened before during some other programs operation?

I checked the event viewer but i don't really understand how it works.

I have other programs running to, i'll be browsing the web and such and have my defrag or AV going. But it also freezes when i'm not browsing and i'm just running them on their own.

I removed the Smart Defrag program from my laptop, but i'm going to keep Panda AV on. I'll do a AV scan with Panda again just to see if my laptop freezes or not.

Some Programs may be to stressful to your hardware. i have no experience with the programs you are using but either way its a possibility. If it doesnt freeze when you do other things while not scanning then i would have to deduce that it was your scanning software/defrag software.

Hello,

The first thing I would do is check the disk for errors. Go to Start, type CMD in the search box, hit enter. When the command prompt appears, type chkdsk /f and hit enter. You'll then be asked whether you'll want to schedule a disk check the next time the system restarts; answer yes. Reboot. See if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom