My internet service works 50% of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVillageIdiot

Solid State Member
I live in a remote area, and the only high speed internet service we can get is wirless DSL. My problem happens seasonal. In the winter my service is rarley interupted, in the summer i never get service between 11:00am and 4:00 pm, give or take 2 hours either way. My ISP says it on my end, that they can ping my bridge. I cant ping them or the gateway host. Here is what i have done so far. Replaced the bridge, replaced the cables, installed new network cards, and power cycle the eqiupment like crazy.
Here is what i have
PC / asus motherboard with imbedded network connector and a network card. I have a ups in line with my ISP and computer, no router, the service is strait to the computer.
Its driving me nuts, any idea what this could be? Im shure i missed some things so if there is questions ask away.
THanks!

TheVillageIdiot said:
I live in a remote area, and the only high speed internet service we can get is wirless DSL. My problem happens seasonal. In the winter my service is rarley interupted, in the summer i never get service between 11:00am and 4:00 pm, give or take 2 hours either way. My ISP says it on my end, that they can ping my bridge. I cant ping them or the gateway host. Here is what i have done so far. Replaced the bridge, replaced the cables, installed new network cards, and power cycle the eqiupment like crazy.
Here is what i have
PC / asus motherboard with imbedded network connector and a network card. I have a ups in line with my ISP and computer, no router, the service is strait to the computer.
Its driving me nuts, any idea what this could be? Im shure i missed some things so if there is questions ask away.
THanks!

Have you tried running a trace route to see exactly where the connection is being dropped? If not, in DOS type tracert and then the gateway host or even any webiste. If the connection is lost after 2 or 3 hops it sounds like it might be an issue on their end.

Who is the ISP?

I posted twice,

so i think i will use this one to let you know this is the second year in a row this has happened to me. I had a previous computer that was struck by lightning, and had the same problem before the strike, after the strike it was fried. This is a new computer about a year old that i built myself.

Ok, i attached a screen shot. tracert didnt come up with anything.
The ISP is nedernet.net
tracert.jpg

That 169.x.x.x IP address means that you are NOT connecting to the DHCP server, and windows automatically assigns a random IP address in the 169.x.x.x range...

Now, when you say you have wireless DSL... is it DSL service that runs on you phone line, and the modem serve's the PC wirelessly? If it is actual wireless internet, I am not sure that it would be DSL, as DSL is Direct Subscriber Line, over a physical medium.

Do you know how far you are from the serving CO, or the tower you get this from if it is wireless?

Try right clicking on the computer icon in your system tray, and select 'REPAIR CONNECTION'.... it is the 2nd icon from the left in that screen shot you posted.

Wirless DSL relayed down to me from relay towers. the company is www.nedernet.net Im 20 miles from the serving company, my service is being relayed from a neighbor i believe, who is being relayed by a local tower,
Repair connection doesnt work now, and hasnt worked in the past.
Im giving the company the benifit of the doubt, and lets say it was on my end. What could be causing this from a hardware standpoint?

You are unable to get an IP from them, make sure firewalls are off and you can try ipconfig/renew .

I would guess this is a problem on their side seeing as you aren't getting 0.0.0.0 ip so your NIC is LIKELY working. However, another thing I notice is in the screenshot you have a LAC with the internal IP but you said this is a wireless connection ??

There should be a wireless network connection listed in ipconfig as well. I don't know much about this type of internet but is there some kind of modem you get with it that you have wired in to your computer?

I never have had a wirless icon in the network config area. Maybe i should. It works like this, i have a small antenna like a satalite dish that has a bridge in it. The bridge acts like a modem. A network cable goes from the bridge to a small power box. the small power box has the bridge in, pc out and dc power input in it. Whats so strange is that its so consisntantly failing. I dont understand. And there is no other service provider here. My only other option is dial up, which doesnt seem that bad compared to the fustration this gives me.
Another screen shot with the firewall turned off.
tracerrt2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom