Is my HDD broken? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to Gravesent
Default Is my HDD broken?

Hello, I have a Segate baracuda 7200rpm sata 80gb hdd, I was defragmenting all 3 partitions simultaniously when I (in my infinite stupidity) touched a component on the hard drives belly to see if it got too hot, the hard drive made a soft *CLANK* the system stopped responding and I had to reset the computer, after the reset the PC locked in the hdd detecting phaze, I turned it off completly I turned it back on and it works, I found no bad sectors (thou I'm not sure about the system partition because I didn't get to see the report) and I want to know if there is any risk that my HDD is in any way broken and how can I check, it appears to work normally with the exception that it seams a little slower than before.. or it's just my paranoia.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

I think its just your paranoia.

you probably had sent a static charge thru it and shorted the whole thing out or somthing...

Dont take my word for this though, thats just what I think.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 05-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm pretty sure I shorted the whole think because I touched some contacts and my finger probably had a little sweat on it, sweat contains salts and salts make water very conductive.. I'm wondering what effect that might have had on the hard drive, I'm thinking that if one component were to be busted it wouldn't really work but who knowes, it's a complex device..
Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Just keep a close ear for constant clicking. Find a utility that can check s.m.ar.t status on your hd. That way you can see if your getting read/write errors or not. I think everything will be fine.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re:

Hello,

...Your motherboard is probably capable of SMART anyways, so if there was a problem with the drive it would tell you upon POST.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've made some diagnostics I've learned about and everything appears to be just fine, no clicking either, segate once again demonstrates the durability of their drives
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

I also believe that on Seagates website, there is a HDD program that will check the integrity of the HDD. Like Maxtor's Power Max.

AMD Athalon 64bit +3200 2.0GHz
Windows XP Professional
NVidia 9800GTX PCIEx
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
400Gig HDD
2Gig RAM
19\" LCD Widescreen 4ms
Closed Thread