is my HD dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superJT

Beta member
hi everyone had a mad day today turned on my pc this morning was updating my football manager game and then my computer came up saying windows had sufferd a bad error then it shutdown, i could not boot up at all not even in safe mode, tried reformatting the drive with my xp cd but it just kept coming up that files are corrupt and kept quitting the reformat so i reinstalled xp on my other HD no probs, once it was up and running i decided to connect my old hd and it came up under my computer and i was able to copy over all the files i needed, but then the same thing happened to my new hd just came up computer has recovered from serious error and shut itself down could not do anything. So the only thing i could think off was over heating so i took out my freezer 7 pro fan and re-seated it applied new artic 5 paste (very strange way of applying this 1 thin line down the middle of the cpu it says dont even have to spread it) anyway done that rebooted and now its working again? very strange i always keep an i on my temps and my cpu has never been above 35c so really dont no if that was the cause of it?

any ideas?

I would say hard drive failure. I was having similar issues and i narrowed my problem down to a hard drive dying fast on me. I have it disabled and that now. Everything seems to be fine.

What you can try is to hook up the drive and boot into Windows.

DO NOT COPY ANYTHING FROM IT YET.

Open My Computer. Right click on teh drive and select Tools. Run a Error check with everythign checked. Have it scan, repair and everything on the drive.

This should not corrupt any data.

Let that run. You may even have to reboot to do it.

That might get you enough life out of it to at least get your data off of it.

IMO if it happens on both hard drives you could also start memtest just to make sure your memory isn't throwing off errors.

Agreed. If it happened on both drives, it's less of a chance of 2 dying hard drives than RAM failure (seems to be one of the most common parts to fail in a PC).

I dont think it is anything to do with RAM. The issues didnt start to occur again until after he hooked up the first drive. Which is the exact same symptoms that my system went thru with my bad drive. Without that drive in the system runs fine. But as soon as i hook it up and have it powered, my system crashes.

Which is what prompted my response. Cause the symptoms resemble that exactly.

Does teh system operate fine without the first HDD attached? If so then it would be that the driev is bad and causing this issue. Cause it fits exactly with my recent problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom