Is my hard drive failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
Hello,

For the past 6 or so months, sometimes my hard drive would make a sound.. sort of a clicking sound from time to time and then it would stop being detected.

Other times if I did as little as take off the case cover and then put it back on, it would stop detecting.

To remedy this I would try different things and it seemed to work when I put the sata cable into the other sata slot, and everytime I did this and restarted, it seemed to work. But sometimes it wouldn't work.

Specs:
ASUS SK8N w/ AMD fx51 2.2ghz 64 bit
512mbx2 Corsair
ATI 9800xt 256mb
HDD1: EIDE 80GB
HDD2: SATA 200GB <-this one

I don't know if it's either the SATA interface that's in trouble? or this has something to do with drivers? but the hard drive does make sounds, and sometimes would work fine for days without any problems, but if I restart my computer and do even the slightest movement with the wires in the computer or what not and it would stop working.

I checked the powersupply, did voltage tests and everything seemed to be normal. I don't know and I don't think it's the PSU that's the problem surely.

So what say you? THanks.

Back-up your S**t ASAP this happened to me and it died all the way!
whats happening is the read/write heads are skipping along the disk causing it to malfunction. a slight tap can cause it to skip so backing up would be the first priority , trust me this happened to me with a 40GB IDE Seagate and it ended up going for target practices

literally

Back-up your S**t ASAP this happened to me and it died all the way!
whats happening is the read/write heads are skipping along the disk causing it to malfunction. a slight tap can cause it to skip so backing up would be the first priority , trust me this happened to me with a 40GB IDE Seagate and it ended up going for target practices

literally

Thanks a lot. And yes I have already backed up my stuff. Can you tell me more about this problem?

the little magnet or whatever it is that moves the head up/down probably malfunctioned causing it to randomly twitch by itself or by a slight movement , if you still have warranty then i would return it to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom