My hard drive dosn't like my computer... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
What do you do when you have a hard drive that dosn't like your computer, and only your computer?

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT (yeah, i know. It blows.) with a 1.4gig hard drive, thatr seems to work in every other laptop (even much older models) accept mine?

When i use my windows 98 startup floppy, it tells me that "drive C: didn't register because it dosn't have a valid FAT@$$ 16 or 32 partition." Whenever i try to make one with FDISK, it tells me that i have to restart for the changes to take effect. So i do, but even then there's still not a fat32 partition after i restart. I even go to the FDISK program again, and there is no partition at all. I could do this a million times over and it would still do the same thing. :(

So i have an idea to go and just format my drive in another notebook. I FDISK it fine, and it works. I format it with a command.com file, (format C:/s) and it does that fine too, but when i put it back in my notebook, it says:

I/O DISK ERROR!
Replace disk and press any key
:(

What should i do? I even tried putting a UNIX system in it. (FreeBSD 5) When i do that, it tells me that the disk dosn't have or isn't UFS, and dosn't start up. But yet again, when i put it in some other computer, it boots up just fine.
Please help me! :( :cool:

maybe it's not the HD, but the disk controller on the laptops mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom