My Gaming Rig is Dead (or at least comatose). Help w/ diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I was doing some GPU troubleshooting w/ SLI. Now the machine will not post at all. Here are the things I know are NOT the problem after pretty extensive troubleshooting: GPU's, PSU, monitor. I reset CMOS and it still won't post. What could be the problem? Could the motherboard be bad?

Before you ask, here's what I was doing w/ the GPU's. I noticed that my SLI'd 570's were not performing like SLI'd 570's while playing BF3. There was no difference in performance w/ one 570 or both in SLI. I know SLI was working because my Unigine Heaven benchmark scores showed it, and the NVidia control panel showed both cards in SLI. I confirmed both cards were working separately by running games and benchmarks w/ only each card by themselves installed. So, I updated the firmware on both cards, put them back in SLI, booted rig,,, No post. From there I tried everything including installing a different GPU, PSU, reset CMOS (as already stated), tried monitor on another machine,,, All of this tested as everything working fine. My only conclusion - in my limited knowledge of these things - is that the motherboard took a dump. Could I get your opinion please? Thanks for any/all help.

You updated the video cards firmware??? Could you elaborate more on this?

My 1st guess would be that you killed your cards.

No problems with cards. Everything is working again, sort of magically. I did a bunch of troubleshooting, swapping parts I knew worked I had on hand, etc., and the rig just slowly started working again. I can't say there is anything I did definitively that fixed the problem. All's good now! Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom