My first 8800GTS problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
I have an eVGA 8800GTS that I have two monitors plugged into.

DVI1 - BenQ 20.1" widescreen LCD
DVI2 - Westinghouse 42" 1080P HDTV :D

For some reason when I turn the computer on, the POST message stuff (as well as my GRUB bootloader) only display on the HDTV, from the secondary DVI output. On my 7900GT it displays on both! This is pretty frustrating because I have to have my TV on to select Windows or Linux. The only solution is to switch the cables, but when I do that, my main screen on Linux is my HDTV and I want it to be the Monitor! I think there might be a problem with my card, as the POST stuff should display on both monitors.

Should I contact eVGA about this? Or is there maybe a solution that I don't know about?

It might just be card specific. I don't have an 8800, but on my card the info only displays on the VGA header and not the DVI. You could try contacting them anyway to see what they say.

I have an X800, but when I tried two monitors it didn't show on the DVI one until the login screen.

Wow, I'm on the phone with eVGA right now and this guy doesn't even know what POST is. He told me to update my drivers. Then he told me that the 7900GT has two GPUs on it and thats why my 7900GT shows the POST stuff on both monitors. Then I was like WTF? The 7950GX2 has two GPUs but that's beside the point, and he hung up on me.

Wow, yeah, eVGA has GREAT tech support.

Well, I talked to some other guy who was way cooler, and actually fired the guy who hung up on me, so he says, and he suspected I had a bad cable, so I switched the cables (leaving the possition of the monitors) and now it works as it should, it's a mystery... why would it work once the OS is loaded, yet not work during POST? Doesn't really matter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom