Is My Fan Installed Correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnselig

Solid State Member
I got a dell dimension 4700. I use to have heating issues with it until i reversed the fan. I'm wondering if i had to reverse the fan or if its installed the wrong way now. The Case fan currently moves air out of the case.(i reversed the fan because it was breathing air in when dell shipped it)...

i was told that reversing the fan might breake a voltage regulator or something...but not sure...

i did the procedure to reverse my fan:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&message.id=98594#M98594

but....

From a moderator off of the dell support forums. (Dell-ChrisM) he said:

Some users have incorrectly suggested that the fans were installed backwards. While this airflow is the opposite of other Dimension models using the same chassis, the reverse airflow is intentional. The Dimension 4700 uses a different motherboard and CPU voltage regulator design than other Dimension systems, one that is very effective and efficient, but requires direct airflow. To achieve this, air is pulled in through the back of the chassis, across the CPU heat sink and voltage regulator, then out the front of the chassis. In short, if the case fan on the rear of the case pulls air inwards, it is installed correctly. The fan should not be reversed! Doing so may increase the risk of damage to the CPU voltage regulator by overheating.

i have noticed a HUGE decrease in temps after i reversed the fan.... i also have found out that theres 2 dimesnion 4700 models.....also check out this article regarding this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension

I would like to hear any comments or suggestions anyone has...to either wether or not i put the fan back to the way it was(breathing air in)...or the other way around like i got it know,

thanks for reeeading this long pooost!

BUMP... Somebody must have some idea.... or what do u guys think i should do....let the fan breathe air in or out?..

p.s... if i let the air breathe in from the back fan, the case gets warm...which heats up my hardware...

first, dont write please begging over an over, its annoying and makes me want to suggest putting your finger in the fan.

2nd, the air flow should go in the front and out of the back of the case. The fan on the CPU should be blowing away from it. The fan on the front of the case should be sucking in air(if you have a fan there) and the fan in the back should be blowing out. Any fans on the sides should blow in the case.

So, the only fan that should be blowing air out is the rear one, all the rest should be blowing into the case.

Last, the fan on the cpu always blows away, pulling heat away not blowing it onto the cpu.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom