My DVD Drive doesn't work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could possibly, be that you don't have the bios set-up to run your DVD drive, make sure the HDD boots up first, then make sure the bios shows that the DVD drive boots up after that. Also the LED eyes that read the DVD's are very sensitive to dust, so I would also recommend you to try and clean it with a Q-Tip (not wet), and if you can't reach the eye, Wal-Mart sells a CD/DVD Drive cleaner (it's a CD with bristles on the bottom to clean the eye while it's spinning in the drive). Hopefully that's the problem, because I had to clean my drive already like 2 times from that.

Your jumpers should be set to CS or Cable Select. That till assign the drive the master or slave designation automatically.

Have you eliminated the obvious things like the cable not being connected correctly, bad cable, etc? Do you have a different IDE slot on the board you can try?

Well, the DVD Drive and the Hard Drive are connected to the same cable, and the HD works...
And i'll try that Mak, thanks

Ok, i did that, but it still doesnt recognise the CD Drive.
I've got the jumper in the second pair from the left on the HD, do i need one in the DVD Drive too?

lol

yes you will need a jumper for the DVD drive as well. Both will need to be on cable select. If you take the hard drive and DVD drive out there should be diagrams on both that show the correct way to set the jumper

Cable select is hit and miss in my opinion. I mean i know it is supposed to work, but i've worked on plenty of computers that it didn't work how it was supposed to. Set the DVD drive to slave and the HD to master.

Also, if you put them to cable select, you will need to change the position of the drives. As right now you have your DVD drive on the master channel, and the HD on the slave channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom