1GB PC2-4200
ATI RADEON ALL IN WONDER X600 PRO
WDC RAPTOR 74GB SATA
MAXTOR 6L300S0 300GB IDE
SEAGATE ST3200822A 200GB SATA
WDC 120GB external

NEC ND-3500AG DVD+/-R DL 16X

ok,

i consinder myself a pretty intermediate computer user and can usually figure out most of the problems with my system. this however really wracks my brain and im just tired of endlessly searching through hundreds of forums and never finding the answer.

hopefully it will be a quick fix since it seems like a small problem:

occaisionally when i install any software (usually more prone to games) my dvd rom locks up and hangs when it asks to swap discs. the computer itself is fine, no programs lock up, system works like normal, the drive itself just stops responging, it stops responding to eject commands whether its software eject or hardware button eject. the problem remedies itself when you restart, but that defeats the purpose of installing anything. its really annoying when youre installing world of warcraft or quake 4 and it locks up right when it prompts for the last disc. i have no idea what it could be, ive downloaded plenty of drive fix software and patches but have removed them all since none seemed to work.

please someone know the answer, ill be more relaxed when this is fixed and not nerve wracking, thanks in advance

Hi There

Ok now this might be a streach.But I just did a spyware scan with a new scanner Steganos Anti spyware and it found a program that is out there that will screw up your cd and dvd burner.Its some type of copy protection that comes with games.This is what it is called
Cdilla.
It didnt do anything to my driver but that could be because of the protection I have on my computer that wont let regestry changes happen.Anyway just a thought...

Hi again

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=4171
Heres a link with some info but im not really sure that this will help.Ill look around for some different solutions..
About 3 months ago on my computer befor i did a reinstall I had both of my DVD burners bite the dust at the same time an extrernal and intrenal and they were both only 2 and 3 months old Never did find out what it was.I was able to return the extrenal drive but i put the interanl in another computer and it still wont burn.

well the thing is my burner runs fine, im still able to burn dvd discs and regular cds, the problem only exists when i install software. the drive just stops responding, it stays in device manager, but its like the power just cuts out and doesnt want to respond. im sure its not a power problem since i have a 450W psu. ill try the spyware though, hopefully that will work.

I have that problem sort of too,1 of the problem's is dvd burner's take a little bit longer to search for stuff at the begining when you pop in a disk,Since you said it's happening when swapping disk's try using a normal cd-rom instead and see what happen's ;)

ive used a regular hp cd burner drive that i ripped out of my old pc before i reformatted all my drives and swapped drives, but i flashed the firmware on the drive, maybe that would do it, i dont know, disabling and re-enabling in device mgr. prevents you from having to restart everytime, but that doesnt solve the problem

it is possible that it is a power problem, i'm not saying that it is only that it could be. perhaps the drive is failing? to test the power i would try disconnecting any extra dvd/cd-drives that you aren't using at the time. if its a power issue, disconnecting an optical drive should provide more than enough power as the symptoms seem to suggest that if the psu is at fault that it is only slightly less powerful than it needs to be. try making some images of the discs and running the install from the images using daemon tools.

i only have the one optical drive since i use it on the same ide cable as one of my other hard drives, i only have the one cable on the mobo, my mobo sucks i know, i can image and run them through daemon tools fine, i do that all the time and it runs fine. so far it hasnt happened after i flashed the firmware. as for the drive failing, it could be, but i bought it off of newegg.com about mid march so it hasnt been in use too long, but i have thought of the simple replacement option (just trying to avoid it). im assuming that it has to be something with the drive since ive tried plenty of other drives from, hp to sony and the run smooth. i still dont know, im lost as to the cause of it. plus the worst part of it is that it happens only sparingly not all the time but once in awhile and only during installations or when software asks for disc changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom