My ''Drive 0 (C:D:)'' usage suddenly rises up to 100%

BeTheNoob

Beta member
Hello all,

for a few days I have been facing this weird problem and have not been able to figure out what the cause and solution is.

So when I open my taskmanager and go to the 'Performance' tab, I see that my Drive 0 (C:D:) usage sometimes randomly rises upto 100% usage; as seen in the screenshot provided.

118dr3t.png

If hoped someone could tell me why this is happening, because when it does, I don't seem to be having internetconnection (not sure whether that's a coincidence or a symptom though!!).

My laptop-specs:
Systemtype: x64 bits
CPU: AMD A8-5550m, clockspeed 2,1GHz.
RAM: 4GB

If you need more info, let me know :)

Thanks in advance!!
~ BeTheNoob

P.S.:
In the screenshot I translated the Dutch names into English and wrote those in red.

Last edited:
Next time it does that, open up the Resource Monitor (can get to it from Task Manager, via the link in the bottom-left corner, that has the speed-dial icon), and go to the Disk tab and sort by the Total Read/Write column and to see what file(s) and/or service(s) are taking hitting the disk.

Next time it does that, open up the Resource Monitor (can get to it from Task Manager, via the link in the bottom-left corner, that has the speed-dial icon), and go to the Disk tab and sort by the Total Read/Write column and to see what file(s) and/or service(s) are taking hitting the disk.

Alright, I kept my eye on this for a while and stumbled onto this:

FpjODNW.png

A few applications seem to be causing the sudden and high rise in disk-usage:
- System
- Svchost.exe
- Taskhost.exe
- AvastSvc.exe
However, it looks like all of these are system-related (or anti-virus related in AvastSvc's case) applications and I doubt that I should be stopping those processes since that can be dangerous, right?

Do you have any solution to this? What might be the cause for these applications/processes to take up so much disk-usage?

Thank you very much for your answer in advance,

BeTheNoob

Depends on what they're doing. Do you have Windows Update to download/install updates automatically? If so, you could try changing that option within Windows Update to "Notify but do not download automatically".

You can see deeper as to what each process/service is doing if you run Process Explorer and see what they're doing: Process Explorer

Since you have 8GB of RAM, you could also probably either get rid of, or reduce your page file (virtual memory). Or at the very least, set the min/max to the same size so that it's not adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom