My dog urinated on my computer.... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default My dog urinated on my computer....

Ok, I don't know how often this happens, but it happened to me. As the title says, my dog ****ed on my computer. Most of the urine got on the outside of the case, but some of it got on the back around the USB ports, sound ports, video card, etc., all the good stuff. I have reason to believe some of the urine got inside the case and possibly on the motherboard or other components, although it was a very small amount.

I realized this a day or 2 after I noticed my comp became, well, slower. Programs that use to take a second to load at max now take 3-5 seconds. It doesn't smell like anything shorted, and i'm 99% positive my computer was off when this happened.

So my question is this...if the dog **** has indeed slowed my computer, but hasn't shorted it, is there a chemical I can use to clean off my video/sound cards, etc. that won't damage them(I've heard using alcohol, but I'm not sure if it's true)? And if not, then, what do I do? I'd rather not take it in to proffessionals to fix or clean it, I've always built my computers myself and getting a third part just feels like a waste of money.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: My dog urinated on my computer....

You can use alcohol or even water. Just make sure it dries before you power it up. And no, we don't get this often.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Lol wow...not something we hear everyday around here...

Like Peter said, just use some alcohol, to clean everything off.
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i wouldn't use water, it really isn't suited for it. if you must use water use distilled water. alcohol evaporates quickly so it's ideal. just to clarify we don't mean whisky from your liquor cabinet, we mean isopropyl or similar pure alcohols.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Lol, of course isopropyl. I may be careless by leaving my comp on the floor, but not careless enough to use any random product on my computer. If that were so, I wouldn't have asked you guys for help Thanks everyone
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Wow I saw the title and I almost fell over laughing, it is not everyday you hear about something like that happening....
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

lol, use alchol like they said, let it sit for like 2 hours to make sure its dry
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I had to directly explain the problem, and get something catchy enough for me to get help
Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

LOL , Epic thread ! I hope your problem gets solved with the suggestions above.
__________________ - Lifting one stone at a time.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Unplug your mouse and beat the dog with it. LOL

Closed Thread