My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem?

Hello. I am working on a Dell desktop PC for a friend of mine. The model # is Optiplex GX620.

The computer will not power on. When I plug it in a couple of bulbs on the mother board will light up. However, when I hit the power on button it does not do anything.

Note...... the power button on the front has a yellow light shining through it. I assume that this is related to a power supply problem?

I did order a new power supply and I installed it. However, it did not fix this problem at all.

How can I tell what is actually wrong, and what can I do about this?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem?

Start taking stuff out until you get success. Unattach hard drives, optical drive, down to 1 stick of memory and then try in different slots.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem?

A solid yellow light indicates the power supply is operating normally but the computer is not processing data. This could mean there is a problem with the CPu or another component on the motherboard.
Source If you know anyone with a PCI hardware diagnostics card, it will save you some time, otherwise if you have a spare cpu or motherboard with matching sockets, give them a quick swap and see.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know what problem you are having,when I had my dell dimension do this to me 5 years ago...
Usually it meant something was crammed up on the mobo or case wiring.
Loosen some stuff up and it should come back on.
Optiplex GX620 now has the infamous blinking amber light - Desktop General Hardware Forum - Desktop - Dell Community
Closed Thread