Is my CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fausage5440

Solid State Member
Hey guys I had some recent problems with my setup. I'm pretty savy on how to fix and do most things on a computer and for some reason my computer had been running crappy lately. The system date wasn't keeping time so i got a new battery, but that didn't help. Then i noticed the CPU was running at unusually high temperatures. 50 degrees Celsius. So i decided last night to clean out the heatsink and cpu. Well I didn't realize you couldn't just reapply thermal compound on top of the original. I booted up the computer to bios and it said the cpu temperature was at 27 degrees Celsius (much better). So i saved the CMOS and turned off the computer, set it up right. And now nothing. No single beep when the computer turns on. No response at all. I'm not sure if my speaker is turned on for the warning signs of processor overheating, but i think since i hear the initial beep before that it is hooked up. But my question is, do u think my CPU is fried now that i've turned it on and applied this new Artic silver without cleaning it first? I took the heatsink off again and i had put a little to much on it had gone off the sides and stuff. I should have probably thought that through a little better before i did it but it was 2 in the morning last night and i was frustrated. I know i probably won't get good news from this but any advice would be great.

there is a slight possibility u might of killed it but we shouldn't jump to conclusions to fast.

- first it would be nice to know ur computer specs because i dont know if using the old school cpu's with the little metal heat plate on the cpu or the new cpus that have much bigger metal heaat plates

-if ur using the newer technology cpus with the big heatplates like the socket 754-AM2, or the sockets 604-775 then u might be screwed because the thermal paste must of gotten where the pins are and it might of fried

-if ur using the old cpus with the little heat plates then wipe everything off with a dry towel, then clean it off with windex sprayed on a towel then apply just a rice drop amount on it and spread it around with plastic bag wrapped around ur fingure

First double check if the cpu and heatsink are (still) mounted properly. Also check if the CPU FAN cable is wired up.

Since the temps went down the only technical failure that could occur is indeed some thermal paste leaking although it's pretty thick stuff and I don't see it happening that you can get a heatsink on, boot fine, and then still have thermal grease run out.

Thermal compound is conductive, so if you got it all over the sides on the transistors and/or pins or traces, then you probably screwed it up. You can try to wash it all off with alcohol and try again.

yea i got a little on some of the extra pieces of the CPU. I'm going to try and get a new cpu tomorrow if cleaning it off with Arctic Silver cleaner doesn't work. It's a socket A AMD 2700+ processor with an ASUS a7n8x deluxe mobo. i should be able to find one a new CPU for like 40 bucks if fried i hope. Otherwise i may upgrade

The heatsink is a big volcano i believe, its giant orange with a copper heatsink plate. Some of the compound has smeared on the copper and was on the chip so i may have to clean both. I may have damaged by putting the smeared part back down on the chip. Its the small square raised chip. Anybody have suggestions on household things to clean if i cant get ahold of the arctic silver?

sylwek said:
[B-if ur using the old cpus with the little heat plates then wipe everything off with a dry towel, then clean it off with windex sprayed on a towel then apply just a rice drop amount on it and spread it around with plastic bag wrapped around ur fingure [/B]

read more carfully

so i took the cpu to a local store and they plopped it in a socket A mobo and it worked fine. So i got home with a clean processor and put it in my system properly with still no response. Then i noticed the green light on the board that says I have power to the board is flickering. So at this point im thinking something is wrong with my mobo. I tried switching out the power supplies with no luck. Anybody have any suggestions on how to test if my motherboard is broken?!

You need a mutlitestor (digital). You need to check the voltages at the 20 pin insert from the top end while the system is powered on. If you notice that you have very low voltages reads then that will be conclusive. Also, if you have access to a circuit logic testor then you can check data across the motherboard chip set and southbridge circuits. You can save yourself alot of agony by just presuming it is the board (as I am 80% sure from you description) and get another mobo. If you have the money...build a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom