Is my CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N519AT

Solid State Member
I have a Sony VAIO PCV-2234 and I tried something that now I consider very stupid. I tried swapping out the CPU chip in the VAIO to put in another machine (Dell) and switched it back...And all that happens on the VAIO is the power light blinks orange on the front of the machine. Everything else works, Mobo appears to work (power still getting to heatsink and case fans), HD's trying to fetch data but nothing happens with the CPU.

Funny thing is, when I swapped it back...It booted right up, I had to restart to plug in the mouse...then no signal to my monitor, and finally rebooted one more time to get a flashing orange light.

Will post pictures of CPU in a minute..

CPU.jpg

Sorry for the quality, pic taken from my cell phone.

Have you cleared the cmos/pulled the battery. Did you try plugging the mouse in when the computer is running? Plugging a ps2 mouse in while the computer is on can fry the motherboard. The other cpu probably isn't supported by the Sony Propriatary bios. (on purpose so you can't upgrade).

yup That's a CPU alright :)
how is the cpu locked down ? did you lock it down, make sure the heatsink is on right ?

Alright I cleared the CMOS by pulling out the battery, but now there is no output to the monitor from onboard video...Seems to boot, with the light no longer blinking....But just won't output the info to the screen

Would it be wrong to by a video card to try to get my video output to work?

my friend try to plug another monitor on the vga out (if there is such port) so you can see if the pc is booting ok. if yes, then you have to check the vga wiring from motherboard to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom