My CPU fans stopped working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Default My CPU fans stopped working

Hello. I recently had a problem with my HDD and was able to replace with a new one. Unfortunately, I came across a new problem.

For some reason, my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fan stopped working. My CPU case is Azza Hurricane 2000 and the rear/back fan stopped spinning as well. There are 8 fans that comes with the Azza Hurricane 2000 case and other 7 fans are working fine. It's just my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fan and the rear/back fan.

If it was just the rear/back fan I wouldn't be so worried but I'm a bit worried about my Hyper 212 Evo fan.

Any idea?
__________________

Pongsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongsona View Post
Hello. I recently had a problem with my HDD and was able to replace with a new one. Unfortunately, I came across a new problem.

For some reason, my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fan stopped working. My CPU case is Azza Hurricane 2000 and the rear/back fan stopped spinning as well. There are 8 fans that comes with the Azza Hurricane 2000 case and other 7 fans are working fine. It's just my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fan and the rear/back fan.

If it was just the rear/back fan I wouldn't be so worried but I'm a bit worried about my Hyper 212 Evo fan.

Any idea?
Yep LACK OF POWER what psu do you have, also could I get your full system specs as well ?

Once I know this I'll see about having you call or email azza for rma support.
__________________

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

I don't think it's due to lack of power. My PSU is Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i5-3570k
8 GB ram
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
GTX 680
Windows 7 64 bit
Pongsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongsona View Post
Hello. I recently had a problem with my HDD and was able to replace with a new one. Unfortunately, I came across a new problem.
Ok then besides your new hard drive do you use any other hdd and optical drives ?
I looked into your issue, if you want you can call azza for replacment service for the fans or buy a new one.

200mm fans and mighty cheap:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Fans & PC Cooling, Case Fans, AeroCool, 200mm

COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP Case Fan - Newegg.com

120mm
AeroCool DS 120mm Red 120mm Patented Dual layered blades with noise and shock reduction frame - Newegg.com

For your whole system itself I suggest you look into a better heatsinkfan for your intel cpu and utiilize one 120mm on the back of the case.

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Newegg.com
ARCTIC MX4 Thermal Paste - 4gram - Newegg.com

With that and one of the fans I listed, you're machine will be far more cooler and less noisy.
My aerocool vxe which is on the brinks of breaking apart barely makes a sound fx4100 with that grease stays at 38c on full load for 6 months.

Let me know what you think.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Ah, thanks for the help. And I have an SSD (Intel 120GB). The one that died was Seagate Barracuda 2TB and replaced with WD 1TB. I don't know if it was just coincidence but the rear/back and CPU fan stopped after my Seagate HD died.

Also, my CPU fan that's attached to the heatsink is directly connected to the motherboard CPU_Fan1 and the rear/end case fan is connected along with the other case fans.

I want to get new heatsink but I have no idea how to apply/install thermal paste and not only that, I honestly don't think I can take out the motherboard. ):
Pongsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Awkward moment when...
 
Gabis1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 252
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Not that I'm an expert or anything, I'm pretty sure you don't have to take out the motherboard to swap out your heat sink fans.

All you do is take off the off the old fan (While the computer's off, of course.), wipe the thermal compound residue off of the CPU's heat spreader. (I use a little 91% rubbing alcohol to make it a tad easier), apply just over a pea-sized drop of some fresh paste to the center of the CPU's heat spreader, and install your new fan.
__________________
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put one in a fruit salad.

Professional slacker and an expert procrastinator (16 years experience) with a Ph.D in sarcasm.
Gabis1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
SirCyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a yellow Submarine
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

TBH this almost sounds as if your 5v rail went out, or maybe something board related. is your rear case fan plugged into a PWM controller, or shared with your CPU PWM? something you can try to eliminate either of these issues:
move both fans to a different power source (switching molex connection for rear, attaching a molex to PWM adapter to your cpu fan) if those don't still work you could have a fan failure. if your CPU fan spins up, you will have to change BIOS settings to not detect PWM fan, as it will not let you boot the system if you don't bypass the automatic PWM sensor. This is a safety feature to prevent damage to your system. The fans listed by -RockMan- are pretty decent, but I will provide some of my favorites as well.
For PWM, I would recommend the Noiseblocker
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Bionic Blade PWM Fan - 400 - 1500 RPM - FrozenCPU.com
Good fan, long life, low noise, good airflow. The design is more energy efficient do to it's proprietary design, and comes with both 3 and 4 pin PWM connectors
Another good PWM is the Cooler Master Jetflo
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm x 25mm Ultra Cooling PWM Fan - White (R4-JFDP-20PW-R1) - FrozenCPU.com
This has a lower rated average decibel rating, however it's design is traditional, and the company has a longstanding good reputation. If you're more into name brand, this one is hard to beat.
For standard case fans, I would recommend the Noctua Redux 1200RPM
Noctua Redux NF-S12B 120 x 25mm Fan - 1200 RPM (NFS12BR12) - FrozenCPU.com
This is, by far, the best performance to noise fan that I have found for standard case fans.

I hope all this helps, let us know if those simple switches work out for you
__________________
EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
SirCyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
SirCyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a yellow Submarine
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Not to doublepost but I just read the two posts before mine *I started my post before they were up there*
to change the FAN ALONE you will only need a phillips head screwdriver. remove the screws from the fan, disconnect the PWM (CPU-1) connection, put your new fan on using existing holes, connect the PWM connector
To change the HEATSINK, you will most likely need to remove the motherboard. most aftermarket heatsinks have proprietary mounting brackets that require you to remove the stock cpu cooler backplate. you will need a phillips head screwdriver again, however you will remove the 4 screws holding your cpu cooler to the backplate. carefully remove after disconnecting the fan again, clean off the old thermal past carefully using 95% isopropyl alcohol. some aftermarket cpu coolers come with thermal past, and in many instances this is sufficient. you will have to refer to the instruction manual for full installation of your new headsink. replacing just the fan is far easier, however that stock intel cooler will not be sufficient for overclocking.
__________________
EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
SirCyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,887
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

The fan that comes with the Hyper 212 EVO is a quiet, but crappy fan... Mine died after 2 months, my brothers died after 6 months. Not good fans, at all. Heatsink is good for stock purposes, but the fan sucks, thankfully it can easily be replaced.

Buy a new 120mm PWM fan thats rated upto 70CFM or so, carefully take a SMALL screw-driver and pop the plastic tabs on the sides of the heatsink, that hold the fan on, up slightly, and wiggle the fan off being careful not to put force on the heatsink it self. The fan should come off fairly easily. Unscrew the two brackets from the old fan and put them onto the new fan, snap the new fan onto the heatsink.

Be careful, and try NOT to move or wiggle the heatsink while it's attached to the motherboard. As for the "back fan" is this attached to the heatsink? Case? PSU? I can think of a lot of places that a fan would be called "back fan".
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 9
Default Re: My CPU fans stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabis1207 View Post
Not that I'm an expert or anything, I'm pretty sure you don't have to take out the motherboard to swap out your heat sink fans.

All you do is take off the off the old fan (While the computer's off, of course.), wipe the thermal compound residue off of the CPU's heat spreader. (I use a little 91% rubbing alcohol to make it a tad easier), apply just over a pea-sized drop of some fresh paste to the center of the CPU's heat spreader, and install your new fan.
I've watched numerous videos of installing Hyper 212 Evo and I'm still uncertain if removing the motherboard is required or not. It would be a lot easier if I don't have to remove the motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCyber View Post
TBH this almost sounds as if your 5v rail went out, or maybe something board related. is your rear case fan plugged into a PWM controller, or shared with your CPU PWM? something you can try to eliminate either of these issues:
move both fans to a different power source (switching molex connection for rear, attaching a molex to PWM adapter to your cpu fan) if those don't still work you could have a fan failure. if your CPU fan spins up, you will have to change BIOS settings to not detect PWM fan, as it will not let you boot the system if you don't bypass the automatic PWM sensor. This is a safety feature to prevent damage to your system. The fans listed by -RockMan- are pretty decent, but I will provide some of my favorites as well.
For PWM, I would recommend the Noiseblocker
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Bionic Blade PWM Fan - 400 - 1500 RPM - FrozenCPU.com
Good fan, long life, low noise, good airflow. The design is more energy efficient do to it's proprietary design, and comes with both 3 and 4 pin PWM connectors
Another good PWM is the Cooler Master Jetflo
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm x 25mm Ultra Cooling PWM Fan - White (R4-JFDP-20PW-R1) - FrozenCPU.com
This has a lower rated average decibel rating, however it's design is traditional, and the company has a longstanding good reputation. If you're more into name brand, this one is hard to beat.
For standard case fans, I would recommend the Noctua Redux 1200RPM
Noctua Redux NF-S12B 120 x 25mm Fan - 1200 RPM (NFS12BR12) - FrozenCPU.com
This is, by far, the best performance to noise fan that I have found for standard case fans.

I hope all this helps, let us know if those simple switches work out for you
The back fan uses Molex connector along with 7 other fans that came with the Azza Hurrican 2000 case. The thing is, the back fan connector is also connected to the two top/ceiling fans and they're working just fine, so I'm guessing the back fan is broken.

If I were to get a new PWN fan, is it necessary for me to apply thermal paste to the heatsink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
The fan that comes with the Hyper 212 EVO is a quiet, but crappy fan... Mine died after 2 months, my brothers died after 6 months. Not good fans, at all. Heatsink is good for stock purposes, but the fan sucks, thankfully it can easily be replaced.

Buy a new 120mm PWM fan thats rated upto 70CFM or so, carefully take a SMALL screw-driver and pop the plastic tabs on the sides of the heatsink, that hold the fan on, up slightly, and wiggle the fan off being careful not to put force on the heatsink it self. The fan should come off fairly easily. Unscrew the two brackets from the old fan and put them onto the new fan, snap the new fan onto the heatsink.

Be careful, and try NOT to move or wiggle the heatsink while it's attached to the motherboard. As for the "back fan" is this attached to the heatsink? Case? PSU? I can think of a lot of places that a fan would be called "back fan".
The back fan isn't attached to the heasink. It's attached to the case and it uses molex connector along with other 7 fans that came with the Azza Hurrican 2000 case.
__________________

Pongsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed; two notebook fans stopped working. Burnselk Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 10-03-2006 02:40 PM
Fans Fans Fans !!!! kahlos New Systems | Building and Buying 6 02-17-2006 07:37 AM
My DVD Drive just stopped working, and my other drive isnt working either... KiDrIoT69 Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 01-19-2006 04:01 PM
Help my cpu fan has stopped working MESSIAH32 Overclocking and Modding 2 12-25-2004 11:42 PM
Fans Fans And More Fans!!! Nubius Overclocking and Modding 4 08-25-2004 02:05 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.